News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Picked up a 9074s Thermoquad off ebay

Started by 451-74Charger, October 07, 2009, 10:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

451-74Charger

I was looking for a carb, and had various reports that the TQ was an under respected 800-850 cfm monster
I found a 9074s for a good price and it arrived the other day.
This thing looks like its never been taken apart and looks like it just came of a new car
I know the 9074 is a '76 model, but thats all i know so far.
Its going to sit ontop of a mildly modded 451 stroker.
I also just got a zip kit for it to rebuild it when the time is right.

Anyone here have much experience (good or otherwise) with the TQ?

femtnmax

I had a 340 duster with TQ carb.  Drove it over 130,000 miles.  I had no problems with it.  The smaller primary bores gave good crisp acceleration and decent fuel economy.  I am planning on using an 850 TQ on my 360 V8 for the challenger I'm building.
A couple of suggestions:  Do NOT use glass bead or sand blast the throttle shaft assy, you will remove the green teflon coating on the shafts and they will wear out faster.   If the green coating is missing from the throttle shafts is one way to tell if the carb has been rebuilt by an idiot in the past.  Once in a while give a shot of carb spray down the air bleeds to keep them clean.  Don't use more throttle return spring than you need because the throttle shafts do wear eventually.   When doing a rebuild do not forget to install the two rubber O-rings into the plastic float bowl before attachinig the aluminum carb top.  Use brass floats to avoid the eventual fuel saturation of the foam floats.  Use a good fuel filter, my TQ did not have fine mesh screens upstream of the needle seat, and once in a great while junk would get past the cheap plastic fuel filter and jamb the needle open... car still ran good enough to get around until fixing the problem.   Thats my idea of a good car; somethings wrong, and the car still takes you to work etc until you have time to fix it.

I installed an Edel AVS carb on my work truck awhile back, could not get it tuned right for my altitude using the book that came with the carb.  Ended up buying the Edel O2 sensor kit from Summit.  Has a little row of lights that tell you the air/fuel mixture.  Was the best $100 I ever spent.  I was able to accurately tune every circuit in the carb.  Truck runs great now.  I"ll be using the O2 sensor to fine tune my TQ carb when the time comes.
Phil

268RTs4ME

Go here for some good info on your Thermoquad....www.carburetor.ca/Tech/Carter/tqguide-Vaanth.html   all the info you need..when you get there just keep scrolling down.

twinscrew698

You might even check this out! I love a Thermoquad that's what i have on mine!
http://www.thermoquads.com/
I had him rebuild one for me. My son put some video up on the tube of before and after! A couple with an off the store shelf and then from demonsizzler..The one from the store had a stumble off idle and sent it to Dave and he done a fine job for me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAf5xdqUiE

70daytonaclone

I know David Hes a really great person to deal with. I bought a 73 Road Runner Hood from him. Thats where my thermoquad will go!