News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Two fender tags on a Superbird?

Started by 70Sbird, September 21, 2009, 03:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Hello all,
In anticipation of my journey to Alabama next month I was flushing my cooling system and doing some much needed "general cleaning" on my engine compartment this weekend when I saw something that I had never noticed before. Under a coat of paint and dust, I have two extra holes drilled in my driver's side inner fender for a second fender tag. My fender tag screwed into the inner fender about where the battery is, and then there are two more holes roughly at about the shock tower location. Just toward the firewall where my emissions sticker is. I can get a picture but I won't be near the car again until Wednesday. Did any Superbirds have a second fender tag?
If so what would have been on it as all of my options are listed on the first one?
Just wondering, and really amazed that I have never noticed this in eight years of working on this car!
Scott

Scott Faulkner

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on September 21, 2009, 03:55:23 PM
Hello all,
In anticipation of my journey to Alabama next month I was flushing my cooling system and doing some much needed "general cleaning" on my engine compartment this weekend when I saw something that I had never noticed before. Under a coat of paint and dust, I have two extra holes drilled in my driver's side inner fender for a second fender tag. My fender tag screwed into the inner fender about where the battery is, and then there are two more holes roughly at about the shock tower location. Just toward the firewall where my emissions sticker is. I can get a picture but I won't be near the car again until Wednesday. Did any Superbirds have a second fender tag?
If so what would have been on it as all of my options are listed on the first one?
Just wondering, and really amazed that I have never noticed this in eight years of working on this car!
Scott

If it really had a second tag it should only have three holes .  The first and second tag should share the middle hole.      :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

70Sbird

Stuart,
I have seen that before on "two tag" cars and the TA/AAR Trans Am tags attached with one current fender tag screw and a third to hold down the other side. this is a separate set of holes that match the fender tag spacing and diameter back about a foot from my tag's location by the battery. I'm looking to see if I have any pictures on my laptop here but I haven't been able to find one yet. I get a pic on Wednesday

Scott Faulkner

70Sbird

OK, I found a picture of this area.
The two holes (you can even sort of see them in the pic) are in the yellow circle
:popcrn:

Scott Faulkner

FJ5WING

Im pretty sure that wasnt for a fender tag. maybe someone had some sort of accessory screwed in place there.

Is that where the cruise control unit attached?
wingless now, but still around.

BROCK

Quote from: FJ5WING on September 21, 2009, 06:22:52 PM
Im pretty sure that wasnt for a fender tag. maybe someone had some sort of accessory screwed in place there.

Is that where the cruise control unit attached?

Cruise Control did go in that area :popcrn:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

472 R/T SE

That's where my cruise unit is attached although the holes for the bracket are a bit bigger than tag screw holes.

notabird

our 70 roadrunner has those same holes but I dont think they have ever been used.
Brent

FJ5WING

to the original poster,

are the areas in question actual holes or just dimples? if dimpled Im going with them being templates for any car getting cruise control.
wingless now, but still around.

70Sbird

I'll take a better look tomorrow night when I get home.
They looked like holes tha have been painted over.
Thanks for the responses
Scott

Scott Faulkner

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 70Sbird on September 21, 2009, 03:55:23 PM
Did any Superbirds have a second fender tag?

No because SB's were built at LR and LR didn't use 2nd fender tags for additional options like other plants.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

C500

my old 68 had the extra holes there also. I never knew what they were for.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

6bblgt

The holes are the pilot holes to attach the cruise control unit, some inner fenders have dimples some have holes.

Big Bird

70Sbird, my Bird (175667) also has these two identical holes, never really noticed them before your posting
BIG - BIRD :)