News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Name your poison

Started by Hot_Rodder, September 15, 2009, 02:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had a choice, what would you do?

SB Auto
0 (0%)
SB Manual
1 (1.9%)
BB Auto
10 (18.5%)
BB Manual
21 (38.9%)
Old Hemi Auto (name which one, this includes the early Hemi and 426)
5 (9.3%)
Old Hemi Manual (name which one, this includes the early Hemi and the 426)
12 (22.2%)
New Hemi Auto (which one? 5.7, 6.1, other)
1 (1.9%)
New Hemi Manual (which one? 5.7, 6.1, other)
4 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Hot_Rodder

There's a few choices there, so that should make it interesting. I tried to ask myself this question and couldn't come up with one single answer. I came to the conclusion that there was one other question that had to be asked, and it's all bout the application. So, just out of curiosity, you know what kind of driving you do, and what you'd like to do, what say you?
Drag: Old Big Block Hemi, bored and stroked, auto
Street: New Hemi, probably something like the 392 backed by 6 speed manual
Cruising: SB stroker, backed by 6 speed manual
Show: Big block stroker, auto (Hemi's just don't seem happy when all they are doing is sitting under the hood not really being used, though the big blocks don't look too much more happier though...) the auto will help when trying to drive very slowly on the show grounds...

Rolling_Thunder

it really depends on the car...   I LOVE small block A-bodies...     but put that same drivetrain in a B-body and it just won't do....     In that case a BB manual trans...        for corner carving I'd pick a new gen hemi and a 5 / 6 speed
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Troy

Really, it depends on what you want to do with the car, your budget, and your skill level. Installing any Hemi will require $$$ but a new one will also require some technical knowledge of wiring etc. I'm not sure you can put a 6-speed in a Charger without cutting something. A 5-speed is possible. You forgot the overdrive automatic, Gear Vendor's overdrive (manual and auto), and OD 4-speed. Anything but a factory 4-speed or auto will require some amount of research to install correctly. Personally, I drive a lot and I hate constantly tuning to keep things running smoothly. A fuel injected big block with a Gear Vendors overdrive behind an automatic would be a great compromise - but I like shifting so I'd end up with a manual. I don't race so anything built for a straight line is out. I'd love a Hemi for shows just for the "Wow factor" but I don't have to have one.

I like small block stroker motors in E bodies.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Belgium R/T -68

I had to choose old Hemi auto because that's my next project.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

lisiecki1

old hemi + 6 speed manual

i'd settle for a nicely stroked 440 with a 6 speed though  :icon_smile_big:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

tan top

:think: 

idealy would like a elephant with a 4 speed &  top end gears :yesnod:
  but think a kiesler 4 speed auto trans is a good idea :scratchchin:
for 95% of the driving   :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

426 based Hemi 4 speed!! Thats what I would choose. Now wait , thats just what my current build is gonna have!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Blown70

As long as its running and driving, dont much care   :2thumbs:

westcoastdodge

old hemi 426 manual (charger)for me :drool5: :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

Challenger340

Thats a tough question !
I guess it really depends upon the application, or what a Guys gonna do with it ?
Then there personal past experiences, or, which of our past experiences we learn from, "usually", teach us for the future.

I went BB/Auto.
It's tough, Torquey, and stands up well if a Guys really gonna put miles on it, as in RELIABLE.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Since we're just dreaming here, I picked the 426 Hemi with a four speed.  I guess because it's one of the things that drew me to Mopar and I have always wanted one.  I know there are better, quicker, cheaper, more practical applications for the driving I do, but it's a Hemi.  :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Ghoste on September 15, 2009, 07:41:29 PM
Since we're just dreaming here, I picked the 426 Hemi with a four speed.  I guess because it's one of the things that drew me to Mopar and I have always wanted one.  I know there are better, quicker, cheaper, more practical applications for the driving I do, but it's a Hemi.  :shruggy:

What Ghoste said!  :2thumbs:

Hot_Rodder

Dreaming wise, I wished I had the chance again to get those two factory race 426 Hemis that I was offered a little while back, could you imagine having not only a factory 426 Hemi, but a factory 426 Race Hemi? Nothing wrong with the blocks, guy just offered them to me, but I couldn't get them at the time (sad).  :rotz:

firefighter3931

I like the simplicity of a wedge.....building a 572 for the 68 street/strip car. For racing i like automatic's....less stress on driveline parts.  :2thumbs:

Never owned a 4 spd musclecar before so i'm gonna stuff one in my 70 along with a pump gas 493 and build it for cruising.  :coolgleamA:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

big block 4 speed hands down for me. the car is super reliable and fun to drive. i make trips almost every weekend to my parents at 60 miles one way. its all twists and turns with hills through farmland.  i go cruising all the time all over the place, and run the crap out of the car with no thought of breaking down.

i hated my car with the auto in it. just no fun.

70daytonaclone

Hey Joe what part of the country do you live in with such nice cruizing roads? S

Challenger340

Just Curious,
Anybody here actually ever try and "Race", Steet or Strip, an 833 4 spd Car with an actual 700-800 "Dyno'd" HP  ?

I gave up on that foolishness long ago !
Lotsa broken Trans Parts
and,
I can't drive worth a crap anyways, needed 2 Hands on the Wheel just to keep the thing on the Pavement !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

i live in southeast pa. i will have to take some video clips of my "cruising roads"

i have tried drag racing my 400 hp 4 speed car...lol i have been told my car sounds like an automatic going down the track, but i'm sure it would be a different animal with 400 more hp on it.   i would love to try!