News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have you EVER seen a '68 VIN like this?!?!?:

Started by Charger Aficionado, November 26, 2005, 12:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

What is up with the HUUUGE space between the X and the S???  Check this out (eBay item# 4593420267):

8WHEELER

NOPE NEVER SEEN THAT  :shruggy: :shruggy:  once again the numbers on the block don't match the fender tag.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Charger Aficionado

hemi68charger

nope,, Never seen that before. But, everything on the car looks legit.. I would chock it up to a factory screw up.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

They were hand stamped after all AND, most people building a fake car would be unlikely to put a red flag like that on there.   Dash vin would be something I would want perfect if I were phonying up a car since any bozo with a Year One catalog can decipher it.
Then again, there could be someone out there willing to make a vin tag that looks like that just so they can say, "how can it be fake, if it were fake it would have a perfect dash tag".   ;)

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Ghoste on November 26, 2005, 10:15:48 AM
They were hand stamped after all AND, most people building a fake car would be unlikely to put a red flag like that on there.   Dash vin would be something I would want perfect if I were phonying up a car since any bozo with a Year One catalog can decipher it.
Then again, there could be someone out there willing to make a vin tag that looks like that just so they can so, "how can it be fake, if it were fake it would have a perfect dash tag".   ;)

I agree. If I was going to fake it I would atleast fake it correctly. :yesnod:

BBD

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 8WHEELER on November 26, 2005, 01:15:44 AM
  once again the numbers on the block don't match the fender tag.

They're not supposed to in '68. The block stamping is the partial VIN while the fender tag shows the VON.

Starting in '69 the fender tag shows the VIN.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JimShine

I always knew the "8" digit looked weird on '68's , but just realized looking at the picture above the shape of the digit is an upside down keyhole.

472 R/T SE

That's a cool lookin' ride.  I'd love to have it, that burgundy is such a cool color.

Drache

Quote from: JimShine on November 26, 2005, 04:44:57 PM
I always knew the "8" digit looked weird on '68's , but just realized looking at the picture above the shape of the digit is an upside down keyhole.

I've always wondered that too. I wonder though if it's so you don't get the B's and the 8's mixed up?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

8WHEELER

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 26, 2005, 04:28:14 PM
Quote from: 8WHEELER on November 26, 2005, 01:15:44 AM
  once again the numbers on the block don't match the fender tag.

They're not supposed to in '68. The block stamping is the partial VIN while the fender tag shows the VON.

Starting in '69 the fender tag shows the VIN.

John, the rad support, trunk lip should match the bottom right numbers on the fender tag.
I know the block should match the last few numbers on the vin in 68.

Here are some pics of my fender tag, trunk rail number and the rad support is the same as the trunk.
The engine would be the same 4 or 5 numbers on the last of the vin. I don't know what the
B8X at the beginning of the numbers are but from what I have seen the 8 stands for 68.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.