News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

M-1 intake manifold hood clearance?

Started by 4Bangin69, August 25, 2009, 10:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4Bangin69

I have a stock 383 manifold now on my 69 charger and would like to buy a Mopar M-1 intake manifold. I have a Demon 750 cab. and a mopar performance are cleaner.
Should I have any problem with hood clearance? Right now hood looks like it barely clears.

Rolling_Thunder

if you got a drip base air cleaner it would greatly improve your odds of it clearing....   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

4Bangin69

How does everyone else use this intake. I heard it's the best bang for your buck for the 383. I didnt think there is anything else that will give me the same power and will have better chances of fitting under the hood.

I still have to remove the spacer under the old Carb..
Not planning on using that..

terrible one

Not familiar with the M-1 but the Eddy Performer RPM is a great all around dual plane manifold that has been used by plenty and clears the hood fine. I'm running one on my 383 with a 1/2" spacer and drop base air cleaner and it clears with no problems. Either way, you will undoubtedly need to switch air cleaners . . . or at least the base to a drop base to gain the full clearance potential of whatever top end combo you choose. Speaking of the spacer, that is something you will want to keep if you can. Those can be your best defense against vapor lock and all around hotter fuel temperatures. There was a thread here not long ago I believe that saw a 100 degree difference in temp between spacer and no spacer.

Blown70

Maybe I am thinking of the wrong intake but I dont think that will work on your application.  I would go with TO's advice.... Again, late and i am getting older but again if the M-1 is what I am thinking purdr darn sure it wont go under the hood.

4Bangin69

Well thanks that really helps. Ima look into it.

Ghoste

Doesn't Chrysler apply that M1 name to more than one manifold?  I thought there was something like a nearly stock dual plane and a tall single plane that both used the name?

mjwebb

I matched the edlelbrock performer manifold to my eddy 600 performer carb and an aftermarket air cleaner and it clears fine......I know alot of folk would think the 600 is too small but it runs so much stronger, crisp and clean across the power range than with the OEM Carter and manifold.  I am VERY satisfied with the power...engine has a mild cam and tall gears and it is an absolute dream to drive

Blown70

Quote from: Ghoste on August 25, 2009, 11:51:15 PM
Doesn't Chrysler apply that M1 name to more than one manifold?  I thought there was something like a nearly stock dual plane and a tall single plane that both used the name?

Could be and turns out I am not all that old then or confused.... :shruggy:

elacruze

It fits fine with a Moroso drop base air cleaner...but there's zero extra room on top. There are no tracks inside my hood from this setup, but I know it's very close. It's on a RB 440 too so you get a bit extra space.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Charger-Bodie

If its a M1 dual plane,its basically the same as a stock 69 manifold but not as heavy. If its a m1 single plane it will be taller and you will need a ddrop base.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

elacruze

FWIW, I don't like the single plane M1, at least not on my combination (440 +.030, 11:1, MP .509 cam, DC Stage IV iron heads, Hooker SC 2", 4-spd 4.10:1)

It comes on like a light switch at 3500 and runs crazy fast as far as I'm willing to rev it, which is fun but not traffic-friendly. It might could be better with a 750cfm and/or vacuum secondary carb replacing the 850 holley DP.

The M1 replaced an Edelbrock CH-4B which was only port-matched, and with the 850DP was magic to drive, easy to tune, didn't change with weather and seemed to pull just as hard up to 5500 rpm. from an idle roll, the dual plane would have wasted the M1. If I hadn't sold the dual-plane at the swap meet, I'd put it back on. Instead, I have an Edelbrock dual-quad dual-plane modded by Hughes with Holley 8bbl TBI waiting for the car to come together for install. I expect it to work altogether better than either previous setup.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.