News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing on a Lincoln...

Started by myk, August 31, 2009, 05:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Hello everyone.

Trying to time a friend's '61 Lincoln Continental with the 430.  When I first hit it with the gun it was reading about 15 ATDC.  I started to rotate the distributor but I soon ran into a problem: I couldn't retard the engine any further because the vacuum canister on the distributor was now right up against something and it couldn't rotate any more. 

Is this normal?  The most I could retard the motor was about 6 BTDC, and I'd really like to get it at 10 or more, but how can I do that if the distributor physically can't be rotated any more? Can the vacuum canister on the distributor be moved?  Thanks in advance for any advice given...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Troy

Try this:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61003.0.html

I did a quick Google search and the factory setting is 8 degrees BTDC.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TylerCharger69

I have seen instances where you can rotate the plug wires one space without pulling the distributor......if it's that far off