News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you market a book or DVD, thinking about a How To Do Book

Started by cudaken, November 22, 2005, 10:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Some of you may having been following the posting I have in the paint and body section. Coupe of guys (Golden 73, Randy and Ipstrategies, Russ) seems to think a How to book or DVD would not be a bad idea.

I kind of like that idea but have no idea as how to do it? Anyone that follows my posting know I can do body work, been in the business for 24 years. Also have a sense of humor and cannot spell for shoot.

If I could make one, I would have no clue of how to market it. Yea, I know the Internet, guys I would have no idea how or where to start. I don't even know how to start a web site.

If I where to do this, I would want to make it for the beginner's. Make a good looking street peeler, not a strip it down and spin it up side down anel job. Something a 15 year old kid could do and not spend $2000.00 in tools alone. I would cover some of the better tools I use but also hand power tools that could be had for around $20.00.

Anyone here ever had VW Bug's? That was my first car and what I started wrenching on. There was a book called "How to keep your VW alive, step by step procedures for the compelete idiot". It was fun to read and keept my 16 year old brain intrested.

Idea's would be helpfull.

Cuda Ken               
I am back

RD

i am not sure how you market one ken, but make sure you have a good spell checker okay or a great editor :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

andy74

:iagree: that is a great idea ken,and may be can get some kids away from the ricers! hell,id even buy one for my son,then when he gets good enough ill have a captive body guy!!

ChargerBill

Ken, there are a few books out there that explain how to publish and promote your book. Look under "self publishing help", "book publishing" at Amazon or at Border Books, etc...

I have experience with editing and I'll help you if you send me manuscripts. As far as a DVD goes, you are looking at a large up front cost to have a crew onsite (or you may have to set up a sound stage elesewhere) and at the backend post-production (putting all the footage together, adding titles, chapters, etc..) can kill you in the pocket book. Minimum cost to produce a professional quality DVD will run you anywhere from 5K on the cheap to 20K (still kind of low) - and that's just to produce the MASTER. Once the master is produced, you can expect another 2K to 5K (conservatively) for cover design and promotional items, and then another 10K to produce 5,000 copies. And THEN you have to find an audience who's willing to pay $30 for an instructional DVD and is willing to watch it and try to remember where a certain piece of information was and locate it on the DVD and LISTEN to the step by step and try to memorize it, etc...

A book would be much easier to produce and find a market for, but there is a downside to this also. More than 100,000 books are written a year, and a mere FRACTION actually get published. And then of those only a FEW actually get shelf space. Hey bud, I'm NOT trying to discourage you at all, I just want you to know the reality.

But Ken, there IS a way you can do this AND make some money...probably pretty decent money. IMO, if you have good, CLEAR photos, clear instructions and easy to follow technique you have won half the battle. The easy part is THIS: You publish a PDF (electronic book) on CD...you can do this yourself and sell the CD for around $20. This way, you can self publish, the CD's are easy to ship, initial costs are low and users can print the pages as they need them. It's a win, win...

Also, (ths is just a thought) have you considered partnering with another body guy, or flame painter, or metal guy (or maybe a group of guys) for ideas and to keep the book well rounded? Maybe co-author a book and share time and expenses.

Just so you know, I'll help you anyway I can...
Life is a highway...

Todd Wilson

ChargerBill is right on the different things involved. The costs involved will depend on your location in the country. I'd think in the midwest you could get some things done cheaper. Problem is unless you got the cash to lay out to have a book printed its gonna be a tough road. Most of the time people come up with books and then go to a publishing company. If the Publishing company is interested  they usually buy the book from you. You get a lump some of cash and you might get a royalty per book sold. Remember Larry Lyles has already done a book fo the 70 Charger,. He has another book that should be out this spring. He has videos as well. I talked to him at El Dorado about the ins and outs of the book and the way I understand it after his book went to the publisher it wasnt really his book much anymore. He didnt have control as to how many got printed or price and so forth. The publisher runs the show and you are along for the ride hoping to make some $.

Marketing your book would probably be the easy part. You could use the internet and that would be easy. You have already marketed your book when you typed this thread. If it was a charger book only. If it was a body work book then the various car forums are all over the internet. Word would travel fast if it was a good book for a good price.  But if you wanted to get on Amazon.com   or be in book stores you got to get a publisher.

Todd

69_500

If you really wanted to do a step by step DVD, let me know. I know we are a small company and have only done DVD's of car shows and such. But we do have the equipment that would be necessary to do a shoot. Only thing would be trying to get over there for enough time to film it. The cost of doing an actual DVD I don't think would be that much money. Considering I"m not a huge budget film crew, I am only 1 man, but could get a 3 camera crew over there do filming if necessary. Also the editing isn't too bad. I think that with our Carlisle DVD, we had 17 hours of footage, and it took me about 2 1/2 weeks to finish editing on that video. I think all in all we had about 75 hours of work in the editing of the video to get it down to a 2 hour DVD.

Blown70

I think the internet would be enough for maketing.  let just say moparts, here etc,  I have seen the work you can do and best of all the advice.

You can show people the different tools and the use of each,  and approximate cost of the tools.  Most of us hobbist guys dont need the fancy tools.

The different types of primer, paint, which to use for which are and or result.

Heck I feel like sending you a donation now, for what I have learned and or refreshed for me..

Ohh and also I have heard a basic website is not too hard.  Some have basic ones you can build from..... I have friends who are Knuckle heads that can do it, so I am sure you can ken.

Tom

tin_soldier

I'll be your first customer.  Sign me up I'll take one.   :2thumbs:

cudaken

Hee, Hee, Hee Dan I was thinking of you ;) I have read some of your post about what has happen as well. I was going to call you, but the AMX got in the way.

I may have a 68 Charger coming but it will mainly be blocking and paint. Then there is 41 Husk 70 Challanger, but it it is all ready stipped to bare metal? What to do, what to do?

Any ideas what to do for a project? ;D Should be a Mopar, humm. I am beat, where do I find a Mopar that needs bodywork?

:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: Ken
I am back

golden73

ChargerBill

Quote from: cudaken on November 22, 2005, 08:17:03 PM
where do I find a Mopar that needs bodywork?

Where do I ship my Charger... :icon_smile_wink:
Life is a highway...

twilt

Quote from: cudaken on November 22, 2005, 08:17:03 PM
  Any ideas what to do for a project? ;D Should be a Mopar, humm. I am beat, where do I find a Mopar that needs bodywork?

I have 3  72`s that are all in need of bodywork. i would be more than willing to lend them to ya for a bodywork video or book. :devil:

Johnny SixPack

Ken, go DVD.

There are books on how to do bodywork, but seeing it done is so much better IMO.

Or how about a DVD/book set.

Much more $$$$$$ intensive, but man, I don't think there's anything else out there that could touch you as far as depth of information.

Hell, even an online "book" and DVD set would be sweet.

Cheaper too.

I'd be very interested in either.

As for marketing, I agree that the internet is a boon.

Same with shows/meets.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

DC_1

Who knows......if it is successful maybe you can get a gig on the Discovery channel and be the next OCC!.......I would tune in every week to see a reality show on Mopars being worked on!!..............I guess I am getting a little ahead of myself.......but I also think the DVD is the best way to go.

doechsle

Market it right here on DC.com.I have been thinking about doing a local Cable t.v. show based on working on classic cars and high perf. engines with a sense of humor. Kinda a mix between 2 guys garage and the 3 stooges.One guy is the serius mechanic and the other just makes funny faces and plays practical jokes.

tin_soldier

I am with twilt,  I have a 69 that needs body work done.  If you need it for the video or documentation I am willing to let  you use it.  I amsure you would do a better job than me.  Either way I still want a copy of the book/viedo/cd-rom with pdf's   :icon_smile_big:

69_500

I have a 69 Charger 500 that needs some minor body work, and a paint job. :)

Oh wait, then again i'm broke, and jobless.

cudaken

Dan, I have not forgot. I will call next week.

Ken your friend

Tin, I know 68 to 70's.
Twilt, never worked on a 73, humm.
Bill, you get it to me it a done deal. You are still one of the best.

I am back

JimShine

I don't think doing a DVD will be hard. My teacher made instructional videos for 20 years (still makes them I believe) and does well selling them.

The key is decent equipment (good camera, mics and lights), which you could rent. You wont need special crap in the video so long as it has informative content and is shot well. Nowadays you can set your computer up for editing and creating the master for reasonable money. If you wanted to push it, you could probably make a decent, informative DVD with a MiniDV camcorder, tripod, medium sized TV to see how the picture looks in real size (make sure those small nuances like orange peel spots show up), a couple of shop lights and a lapel mic. The key is to have it well lit, not bouncing around and the sound loud and clear. The rest is fluff and people wont care about that on an educational video.

When its done, I would approach the big parts distrubutors first. Year One, The Paddok, etc. Set a retail price and sell to them for 50% less and give additional discounts for larger orders (like 50+5). Create a website and market it there too. If you have the money, take out ads in the magazines and advertise them there. If you take the time, you will be able to market them yourself. This gives you more control and increases the profit on your end.