News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buying a charger sight unseen on Ebay

Started by Charger440RDN, August 05, 2009, 10:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 06, 2009, 05:36:08 PM
I wouldnt do it, money comes hard into my wallet
Ummm....  :scratchchin:  :scratchchin:  Khyron, you wanna take this one?   :smilielol:   :smilielol:   :lol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Khyron

not the only thing going hard in the back of your pants huh? ZIIIIIINNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

*rimshot*

*bows*

Thank you....try the veil!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 07, 2009, 09:51:33 AM

Don't post the details about the seller's contact info, PM them to whoever can look at it for you. Too many people browse sites that aren't here to be friends, they're deal hunting & you could lose out on a car to one of them.  :Twocents:

Good advice.  I blabbed about my purple car before it was actually in my garage and a local Mopar flipper seen it my drivel & tried to get the car out from under neath me.

As long as the person you're buying from is reputable on these forums I have no problems buying sight unseen.  My Challenger was every thing Bill Allphin said it would be.

Supercharged Riot

Dont ever do it. EVER
If someone is never going to spend the quality time to go over the car with you in person.
They're not worth buying off of. no matter how cool of a car it is.
You're putting too much money on the line without seeing the car first.

it took me 6 years to find the right guy & right car

RecklessYouth

Bought my 68 Charger from Ebay, what was advertised as a decent project car with good title ended up being a rusted out frame with no title.  :brickwall: Didnt find this out until i drove 900 miles one way to pick it up! I will NEVER buy a car off ebay again. Sight unseen FTL! BTW if you have a decent shell and are looking for a complete 68 as a parts car let me know, ill make ya a deal.  :cheers:

Tilar

Quote from: twinscrew698 on August 06, 2009, 04:39:20 AM
If you are close to Ohio i would try the Mopar Nats first. and use that as a very last resort..

http://www.moparnats.org/

Save yourself some headaches...

I missed where anyone had used cars at Mopar Nats. I'd still like to find a 3rd gen driver. I guess I didn't walk far enough back.  :shruggy:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

jb666

Oh man... What ever you do, DONT DO IT. Hire someone. Beg someone. Do anything you have to, just make sure a set of eyes (that you can trust) looks the car over thoroughly.

deputycrawford

Good idea on the PM thing. I will help where I can. I would not want to see a flipper get the car because we were trying to help.

Jerry
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

d/ur/t

Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 06, 2009, 05:35:42 PM
I guess if I do the Ebay route it will have to be a local car. It really would be a pain to take off work, spend money flying to Texas or California, decide you like the car and still lose the auction. Then again I still need to convince my wife that bringing another car home is a good idea :icon_smile_big: I will try and have patience and look for the best car and not jump at the first thing.  Dodgert68 I'll get in touch with you on getting that Charger when Im sure it's safe to bring it home! :lol: thanks everyone for the advice.

Get one of those apprasails done on it if your that keen.They are objective and will take heaps of pics and basically tell you yes or no.Trouble is if you take a few cars to get a good one your pocket will be much lighter but then again you could get caught like me had even though I doubled the known rust it turned out to be much more. 

Leonidas Rex

I live in Springfield, Illinois and know of where there are 2 chargers for sale. I think the guy is asking a little too much but it all depends on what you are willing to pay.

I would highly recommend not buying a car sight unseen. I purchased my Charger on Ebay. While I am happy with it now that it is paid off, I do not think I would have bought it had I inspected it. I would have spent the money more wisely. I think I would have also considered purchasing a car that was already restored instead of me redoign the whole thing myslef. If you are up for the restoration, good luck and there is nothing wrong with it. There is something to be said for buying a car that someone else has already done and just tweaking it to how you want it.

If you need anything, you can shoot me a line and I will keep my eyes open for you.

1969chargerrtse

I bought mine sight unseen on eBay back in 2007 when everyone had money to buy it before me. He had buy it now on it and I had been looking every day for over a year. Money was loose and 69 Chargers were expensive and hard to find. For those reasons I have no real regret even though the market has changed and now I have to much in it for the times.
Bottom line is it's a buyers market and cars are not selling like crazy and you are the boss, the man with the money. I'd suggest having someone look at it in these times. 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

david hunt

My two cents worth is DO NOT Buy a PAINTED /Done car.  That way Nothing can be hidden as far as rust. My second advice is buy a car from western  kansas as we do not have rust issues.  I have a 69 charger for sale that you would like  but it needs lots of parts and still has the tags intact on it. YOU CAN SEE ITS Pedigree.  DvH903@Aol.com

alcusswhen

I've bought three 73 Chargers site unseen off of Ebay with out a hitch. One I bought as a parts car for my own 73.
The other two where project cars that people had given up on. I restified [can't retore none #'s matching cars] the project cars and made a profit off of both of them but that was only because I don't have to farm anything out. I don't think that if I couldn't do it all I'd buy one off pictures and if I hadn't lived and breathed B body mopars sense 1962 I'd trust myself to inspect the cars. Its just to easy to see nothing but pretty valve covers.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

472 R/T SE

Quote from: david hunt on August 12, 2009, 03:28:22 PM
 My two cents worth is DO NOT Buy a PAINTED /Done car.  That way Nothing can be hidden as far as rust. My second advice is buy a car from western  kansas as we do not have rust issues.  I have a 69 charger for sale that you would like  but it needs lots of parts and still has the tags intact on it. YOU CAN SEE ITS Pedigree.  DvH903@Aol.com

Wow.  That goes against everything I've ever said/experienced.  I lived in Hays most of my life & I deter anyone who wants a western Kansas car.  My first Mope was from Kansas, it had sub frame rust & rear quarters stacked on top of the rusty ones.  Real fine body work.

It sold new from the Junction City area so it wasn't a car brought from the NE.  I have to laugh every time someone mentions "dry Kansas car".  Yeah.....right.

I don't know about now, but back in the 70-80's they used salt on the roads and the winter storms were always wicked.  Not so much nowadays.

Charger440RDN

I love this website, best charger site hands down.  :2thumbs: :cheers: I have a whole new way of looking at potential chargers now just based on the info and restorations I have been looking at on here.

Charger440RDN

Quote from: 68rtchargerstang67 on August 12, 2009, 01:42:40 PM
I live in Springfield, Illinois and know of where there are 2 chargers for sale. I think the guy is asking a little too much but it all depends on what you are willing to pay.

I would highly recommend not buying a car sight unseen. I purchased my Charger on Ebay. While I am happy with it now that it is paid off, I do not think I would have bought it had I inspected it. I would have spent the money more wisely. I think I would have also considered purchasing a car that was already restored instead of me redoign the whole thing myslef. If you are up for the restoration, good luck and there is nothing wrong with it. There is something to be said for buying a car that someone else has already done and just tweaking it to how you want it.

If you need anything, you can shoot me a line and I will keep my eyes open for you.

That's great I live in Bloomington, IL about 50 miles away i go to Springfield all the time, I should drive over and check out those chargers. Do you have an idea of the price he's asking for them? What years are they?

Leonidas Rex

I know he has 6 Chargers. He has three 69 Charger RTs for $11,000, $11,000 and $20,000. He has a 70 Charger RT for $11,000. He has two 71 Chargers, one an RT and one regular, for $8500 and $7500. My Dad and I have bought cars from him cheap before now but to me these prices are a little high. I think he sets the prices high to work down. Unless it says firm, I would think everything is negotiable. These are all roguh cars and all will need restoration. Some have all the parts some have rolling shells. I will PM my number.