News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adjusting 73 torsion bars

Started by WH23G3G, August 11, 2009, 08:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Are the adjuster screws on the lower control arms suppose to be hard to turn when adjusting the torsion bars? Mine have been bead blasted, cleaned, and painted. I remember they were tight to loosen. But I was tightening them to see if they would even turn before I put the engine/trans in and they are a pain. I can imagine how much trouble they will be when everything is back in the car. I'll have to get them adjusted a little before I can take the car out to test it. Are they suppose to be this tight? Should I turn them back in a bit before I put the engine in? Does it make it easier to turn the adjuster if the car is on the ground?

flyinlow

I took my adjuster screws out , wire wheeled them and coated them with anti sieze.

Turn with a long 1/2inch ratchet.

easier with the weight off the wheels.

they should not feel like they are going to break.

WH23G3G

Before I slide in the engine/trans should I run the torsion bar adjuster screws up any since I have them all the way loose when I rebuilt the suspension? I've talked to other mechanics who remembered working on Mopars and they remembered how hard it was to turn the adjuster screws all the time. So I guess it's normal. Mine were bead blasted and I don't see any rust or grease on the threads and the screw was all the way out the bottom.

flyinlow

If you bead blasted them you probable cant see the marks where they were before.

I run mine in by hand until the screw is against the torsion bar lever. ( car on lift , suspension fully extended)

then tighten both screws the same number of turns in until they are about where the rust line was. About 1/2 inch of threads showing on my 73.

Put car back on the ground and bounce it a few times. Measure the distance from the floor to the bottom of the lower ball joint and from the floor to the bottom of the torsion bar anchor in the lower  control arm. The difference is the ride height. Should be within 1/8 inch side to side.

Adjust to the factory setting or what looks good to you. Lowered in my case, this will effect your wheel alignment.

HPP

If you painted them, then ran them in, I'd bet you have plugged up the threads with paint.

Adjuster screws do take some grunt to move since you are loading/twisting the torsion bar. They will feel next to impossible to move if you are turnign them with the car on the ground. Lift the car, turn them in that way.