News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Poly 318 Intakes

Started by 73ChargerSE, November 21, 2005, 05:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

What are the choices for Poly intakes?  Will I have to find an older one or can I use a new 318 intake? I want to make mine a 4 bbl.  Any help is appreciated.

cudaken

Best thing to do is track down Hemi Geno. He as a poly 318 in his show truck/ flat bed. Dam thing is pretty, has dual 4 barrels on it! Poor guy use it to haul around his 69 Hemi Charger and his Daytona. ;D I rode in it, sounds great and first time I ever worried about getting a floor mat dusty in a truck. :icon_smile_approve:

Cuda Ken
I am back

cudaken

OH, LA 318's (new ones) and 318 parts will not inter change. Maybe the cam, but I am 96% sure they are not either.

Cuda Ken

I am back

hemigeno

Thanks, Ken...

There are still aluminum 4bbl intakes for the Poly motors floating around.  They hit eBay every so often.  There are also some guys that have stashes of HiPo parts around, and there isn't exactly a high demand so when someone asks they'll usually try and help out (hoarding hasn't hit the Poly guys just yet).

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a couple of names of some guys to talk to.  Either way, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a single 4bbl, 6bbl, or dual-4bbl manifold if you want one.  You just have to know where to look.

I'd love to hear the details of your current motor, and what the plans are when you're done "playing".  I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to such things...

Good Luck!

Geno

hemigeno

Oh - and on the interchangeability, there are a few parts that do interchange, but the intake is not one of them. The intake manifolds are very different between a poly and an LA motor, since the valves are arranged in a IEIEIEIE format on the poly (similar to a Hemi), and EIIEEIIE format on an LA.  Camshafts, as a result, are definitely different.

The Crankshafts will swap, strangely enough, but not many other major components will.

If yo go looking for a 4bbl manifold, make sure you get one from the later series of this engine.  Earlier factory manifolds used the WCFB base pattern, and an AFB/AVS carb won't mate up without using a spacer.  I think the break happened about 1958 or 1959.  Almost all of the aluminum aftermarket manifolds (Weiand, Offenhauser, etc.) use the AFB spacing, so they're usually a safe bet.

:Twocents:

cudaken

Geno, your a show off! ;D Good that thing is pretty.

Ken
I am back

hemigeno

Ken, the pics are only evidence of how nuts I am to do a project like that...   :P

jrzeppy, I talked with one of the Poly guru's I know just yesterday, and I asked him if he had a manifold for sale.  He has anything you want for induction.  He has a cast iron factory single 4bbl, an aluminum 3 deuce, and an aluminum dual-quad for sale.  He also has finned aluminum valve covers, brand-new custom camshafts, blueprinted rocker arms, roller tappets, etc. etc.  One-stop shopping for HiPo Polysphere stuff, and he's a GREAT guy to boot.  Here's his contact information:

Gary Pavlovich
619-449-7277
glpavlovich@cox.net

He and a couple of other guys are doing a 500+hp race Polysphere project, and he has a ton of useful information about how to hop these motors up to some very respectable hp/torque numbers.

:Twocents: