News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reverse switch location

Started by bearbqd, July 31, 2009, 08:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearbqd

Ok, I'm kinda confused. My reverse lights don't work. I'm studying my wiring diagrams and it seems that on my 68 I have a single pole neutral safety switch and a separate reverse light switch. Couple of questions here. One, my NSS isn't hooked up so why does my car start or is just that it would start in ANY gear if I tried it? Two, where the heck is this separate two prong reverse switch? I think I've found my two wire violet/white connection coming from my taillights under my dash, but where does it hook into? Is the reverse switch not on the tranny? I don't guess it is because I have looked pretty thoroughly under the car. Where does this thing connect?
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

ODZKing

bearbqd

Sorry, Yes, automatic. And its a column shift car
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Runner

i believe the switch is on under the dash on the column

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

John_Kunkel

There is a plastic lever that actuates the BU light switch at the base of the steering column, if the lights don't work it's often due to the plastic lever being broken off.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bearbqd

that's what I needed to know. Thanks
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

bearbqd

Well, I thought that was what I needed, but I don't have a column like that. I don't have a piece that hangs down like that. I can't find where it is.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

A383Wing

If above said parts are not on your column...sounds like someone switched your column with a floor shift one.

bearbqd

No, I still have a column shift car, just not that hanging hump at the bottom.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Al

Can be found as NOS from Jim's autoparts if I'm not mistaken. John Kunkel posted the link some time ago. Not evident to mount it on the column though when column is in the car. Got to have the hands of ET to put it in as stated in the FSM.

Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

bearbqd

Hey John Kunkel, can you show a picture of that entire page please? Is that hump on a hidden part I'm not seeing?
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

ODZKing

Here is the page from the 67 service manual.  But I think it's the same procedure.

A383Wing

Is this what you need in picture below?

bearbqd

That's it, I just can't find it on my column. I don't have the hump it sits in. Sorry to be a pain, but can one of you photograph it inside your car so I can see where mine is supposed to be. Thanks.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

A383Wing

Well, I can't..both my cars are 4spd Chargers.....if you need this part...either send me a PM or an email and we can work out the details.....

bearbqd

That's just it, I don't know if I need it because I can't find where it is. I found the violet and white wires that are supposed to go to it, but I can't find where it connects.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

John_Kunkel

Have the BU lights worked since you owned the car? Possibly somebody removed the switch before you got the car.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bearbqd

No, the plug that goes to the switch is under there, but I can't find where the switch is supposed to be.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress