News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

timing tough

Started by badass, August 07, 2009, 12:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badass

got a timing  new timing light,used to time by ear only got close , now trying to use timing light but initial is about 30 seems crazy to me when factory is 10 and my cam is comp Xe 268 not that big.wont start at 15. don't know of any other factors yet.after market balancer though cheep timing light though.
mopars best **** the rest

TylerCharger69

Not sure I'm understanding your terminology there.....Carb adjustment may be way off.....did you disconnect vacuum advance and plug it off?  That may be a factor.  Providing cam installation is correct.

Purple440

So you have to turn it up from 15 to get it started?  Something isn't right with your light or the timing mark IMO.   I saw you posted my my earlier thread on initial timing asking for someone to follow up...I should say that we're not having the exact same problem because I can set it down below 10 and it will still start. 

g/l man

badass

vac advance has been plugged, was running pretty good so i believe the cam is installed properly,but I tried to adjust thetiming better and cant get as good ? the plugs were very black though.maybe something with carb maybe balancer needs calibrated more ,I got a cheep timing light from harbor freight $30 when i turn advance dial to zero tining reads 30 above TDC. Iguess that the dial should be at zero theres no advance off switch.It gets good flash though,firing order is good. I got this aftermarket balancer form summit the numbers are 0 to 50 above TDC my pointer is stock 71 440 with hole for zero does show 10 below tdc and more. has three marks for timing Iput it on following directions and use the mark at the bottom of the numbers on the balancer. Maybe this helps clear things up a bit. it ran pretty  good like I said earlier started good idled good didn't stall but the motor shook like a big cam that i don't have,no back fire got plates and insurance drove it around town 2hrs i was pretty happy slight rattle going up bigger hills at low throttle. I wanted to tune it in better now its worse like something else went wrong maybe.I didn't time it the first time and the guy that did is being a a$$ he said he dint remember the first time .Cam should be good used break in oil and comp cam additive changed oil and more additive.that's all I can think off for now. carb was working pretty good ,was babying it due to break in ,motor that is ,Vac advance is pointing real close to radiator hose when starting and idling.Iguess that's about all. sorry for the mess My secretary is on vacation  :shruggy:thanks for reading.
mopars best **** the rest

TylerCharger69

It's a longshot, but did you degree the camshaft in upon installation by using the cam card with all the specs?  It's an aftermarket cam,  so that me be a contributing factor.