News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you guys think of this engine?

Started by Hemidog, September 08, 2009, 10:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

I'm thinking of buying this engine from an engine builder that really knows his mopar (Norwegian guy that's been doing this for many years).

Specs:
Rebuilt 440 500hp, 10,4:1 compression.

- Block: E440 from 1968. bored .030, honed with ARP mainstuds, new cam bearings and frost plugs.
- crank: Forged original, cut/polished .020/.020., balanced for lightweight parts,  2427g bobveights, Federal Mogul bearings.
- Rods: New Eagle 6,76" H-beam 7/16 bolts.
- Pistons: New Ross 82008 lightweight, with 1/16" Molyrings and double spirolocks. Flat w/big valve seats, ca .020 under.
- Heads: Edelbrock Performer RPM, ported , 78 ccm. measured compression 10,4:1,  2.14/1.81 stainless valves.
- Cam: New Hughes HE 1923 BL. 112 gr LSA, .489/.504 lift, 266/270 gr., new hydraulic lifters.
- Intake: Mopar M1 singleplane spreadbore.
- Carb: 800 cfm Termoquad.

Other:
- Double roller timing chain
- Felpro 1009 head gaskets
- Mopar Performance heavy duty stamped steel rocker arms
- High volume oil pump
- 7 qt. Oilpan w/baffels w/ ½" pickup (3/8" towards block)
- New alu wp housing, alu waterpump, chrome dipstick.
- Moroso valve covers
- Painted hemi orange, alu unpainted.

I'm not very experienced with the technical terms and if there is anything missing in the specs, or if there is anything you guys think I should ask him, please tell me!

Descent build?
WIW? (I will add 25% since I'm overseas  :nana:)

thanks!

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68X426

Is that enough carb? Some of the experts on the forum can give insight into the need (or not) for more carb. An old rule of thumb (real old) was horsepower doubled for the cfm. :popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Hemidog

Thank for the input so far guys (Ron?  :scratchchin:)

So stamped iron rocker arms are not as good as aluminum ones? insert input.
As far as the carb goes, I would think would work nice with that cam?

elacruze

Stamped rocker arms are not as accurate in any sense as good quality aluminum rockers. That said, my opinion is that with the cam specs you have, stamped rockers would work just fine for a long time if your valve springs aren't stiff enough for a roller cam. I'll defer to the long-time experts for opinions on spring rates/lift/rocker style durability. Mostly, I wanted to point out the loss of valve lift associated with stamped rockers.

OTOH I installed a set of MP roller rockers in mine (after the iron adjustables galled on the shaft, just like Hughes says they do) and despite my careful shimming and setup they're so noisy I thought something was desperately wrong inside the engine. It sounds like a mini supercharger. They're so loud I wasn't comfortable that nothing was wrong for about 300 miles. I re-adjusted my lifters about 4 times with no improvement. When it goes back together, it's getting Hughes 1.6:1 aluminums.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.