News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stroke my 383?

Started by Hudson Hornet !, October 19, 2009, 10:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

I am looking into stroking my 383 with the 440 source 438 kit. I also want to use their billet caps and stud girdle kit for piece of mind.  My goal is to make 500-559 hp and I would like to know if this combo would be a good choice? I have never used 440 source stuff so does anyone have an opinion? Also, is the girdle and main caps necessary?  I would like to build a nice street motor that will live a long time. Thanks!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

Troy

While not exactly the same, you may want to check out General_01's 383 based 496 stroker thread (555 hp, 610 ft/lbs):
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46587.0.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Hudson Hornet !

Hudson Hornet !

Does anyone know if the billet mains, and the girdle from 440-source are any good?

mally69

i bought the billet main cap and girdle setup but at that time it was made by BCR, im not sure about what they have now i think its their own stuff.

Challenger340

At 500 to 550 hp, I would not worry about Caps, or installation of a Girdle, NOT necessary !

Build & Tune it properly, Get a Set of Main Studs, and Forget about it !

A 438 should make the power you seek easily, with a set of Eddy Heads, Flat Tappet Cam, and be more than streetable for a VERY long time.

The 440source Kits are an excellent starting point, and the "best" way to go, fast & easier,
However,
This is a "451", very similar to what you're looking at doing, albeit 13 cubes smaller, but you get the idea, 575HP/585 Tq
see here;
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22274.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2769;sa=showPosts;start=580
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Hudson Hornet !

Thank you all for the replies. 3 last questions. 1. If I decide not to stroke it, will I have trouble making that number with the stock forged crank? 2. What cam should I use? 3. Does the stroker kit put more strain on the motor than the stock dimensions?

P.S. As for the cam, The car is a 68 charger, 4-speed, 3.55 gears and I want it to be torquey with a strong pull.
Thanks!

Cooter

Hudson, To make that kinda power with a 383 will require alot more head and cam than with 438 C.I....451 C.I. will do it even easier. Not impossible, but I don't think your gonna like the street manners of a 550 HP 383....Yes, the stock Forged crank should handle 550 HP...

Just remember, the longer the stroke the more torque...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Challenger340

Quote from: Hudson Hornet ! on October 26, 2009, 07:19:24 AM
Thank you all for the replies. 3 last questions. 1. If I decide not to stroke it, will I have trouble making that number with the stock forged crank? 2. What cam should I use? 3. Does the stroker kit put more strain on the motor than the stock dimensions?

P.S. As for the cam, The car is a 68 charger, 4-speed, 3.55 gears and I want it to be torquey with a strong pull.
Thanks!

If you decide to go with the 438, using a Stock 440 Forged Crank reground for the 438, it will EASILY handle the Power jst fine.

If you use a Camshaft similar to the one listed in the above build, I had "linked" for you in my earlier Post, power levels would be similar to the Dyno Sheet posted there.

Yes, the more power excerted, the more Block strain,
however, it is well within what a 383 can manage SAFELY, even with "just" Main Studs, NO GIRDLE.

As for your 3.55 4 spd application, if I remember correctly, the Engine listed in my above Posted "link", when tested still produced in "excess" of 450 ft/lbs Torque at 3000 rpm. Plenty to move a Heavy Car down Low !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Hudson Hornet !

Thanks, Guys. With all the choices there are today. I am glad I have this site and all it's members to help.  :2thumbs:

Hudson Hornet !

I tried to find the cam you mentioned but I apparently missed it. How is this so far?

383 block, 440 source 438 kit
Edelbrock heads
Single plane intake
Flat tappet cam.

Any ideas on the intake and cam?