News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat Restoration?

Started by tab73, August 18, 2009, 12:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tab73

I am new to this site and new to restoring cars... I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on seats. I have ordered some temp seat covers for now. But would like to restore my seats right at some point. The backs seems to be dry rotted (maybe) its a plastic form that looks rough. Can this be sanded down and painted with something or will it have to be replaced?
Love me some Charger Baby!! And no you cant touch it.

lisiecki1

anything can be sanded and painted.....how original do you want the car to be is the ultimate question.

when sanding plastic, stay away from the power tools, you'll melt it before you even realize it's gotten that hot.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

tab73

I would like to stay as original as I can. This is just a driver not a show car.  Any suggestions on products that are best for painting plastics?
Love me some Charger Baby!! And no you cant touch it.

lisiecki1

i'll have to get some brand names for you, but i use a stiff brisled brush and soapy water to clean, blow dry with air compressor, and an aerosol plastic-primer that I can't remember the name of at the moment, then paint whatever color....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

twodko

First off, welcome to the site Tab73! Check out Legendary Auto Upholstery for seat covers and backs. They specialize in original upholstery and are fairly reasonable compared to YearOne. There's nothing like the fit and feel of OEM seat covers. Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Foreman72

Quote from: twodko on August 18, 2009, 02:40:46 PM
First off, welcome to the site Tab73! Check out Legendary Auto Upholstery for seat covers and backs. They specialize in original upholstery and are fairly reasonable compared to YearOne. There's nothing like the fit and feel of OEM seat covers. Good luck.

Tom

:iagree:

also, check out Eastwood for your paint/prep materiel needs...good stuff...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

2Gunz

Just wash it and rattle can it.

oldrock

I've had decent luck with krylon rattle can paint for plastics. Haven't done that part but have done several other plastic parts and they hold up pretty well.