News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need help buying the correct 400-4BBL rocker arms

Started by WH23G3G, July 27, 2009, 06:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm trying to locate a source for OEM style rocker arms. My machine shoft cleaned and inspected my rocker arm shafts and said they should be fine to reuse. But I need some new rocker arms because when I was taking them off they all fell and got mixed up. Plus I already have new pushrods, lifters, and springs. So I want new rocker arms too. I can order just basic replacement rocker arms from Melling for a total of about $103. But I was wanting to get the Mopar Performance rocker arms P4529743 because it comes with new hardware. However, in the Mopar Performance catalog it states "High-Ratio rockers may require grinding on block and head for clearance." It says these are heavy-duty similar to the OE 440-6 Pack rockers at 1.5 ratio. My 400 was built to 73 specs. Using the 4-BBL valve springs, windage tray, .040 over flat-tops, OEM spec cam, Carter 4BBL Thermoquad, and Stock rebuilt 73 casting heads. Will it be safe and ok to use this rocker arm package or do I need to go with the Melling rockers? 

b5blue

The "six pack" type just means they are thicker steel than stock...they will work fine and last longer.  :2thumbs:

covet66

Remember reading a magazine article that tested rockers and found many of them to be the same quality, regardless of the price- meaning most were good quality for the price.