News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I remove my oil pan from my stroker with engine in the car?

Started by Mfr426, August 03, 2009, 02:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, I know you can remove the oil pan on my car but was not sure if having a stroker had any bearing on the job. I'm a bit pissed off to ask this but has anyone with a 505/512 440 stroker kit ever pulled their pan out with the engine in the car? I know I'll have to take that center link bar off but didn't know if the stroker adds any additional clearance issues to the job? I also have a deep 6 quart "hemi" oil pan from Mancini.

I have a PIECE OF CRAP windage tray (from 440 Source) and have had leak issues since installing the engine. My oil pressure is so high I can watch it drip from the front corner of the oil pan  :brickwall:. I'm thinking I'll ditch the windage tray as that thing just makes getting a seal that much harder. Or, can anyone comment on using a HP windage tray vs the 440 Source unit? It seemed that the 440 Source tray hung out too far on edges.

Thanks for any comments and/or help.

Thanks.

Mike R

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike I have removed/installed my Hemi pan on my 440 in the car with a windage tray.  I dont think having a stroker would make any difference...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. I didnt know if the swing of the crank was slightly "deeper" on a stroker causing an clearance issue. I know some of the piston skirt had to be ground down but dont quote me on that.

Hope all is well!   

dstryr

How does hanging too far out cause it to leak?  I have a 440Source windage tray in my motor but have not gotten it ready to put in the car yet. 

Thanks!
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Mfr426

When you sandwich the two gasket's around the tray lip it appeared to me to be so wide that it allowed the gasket to move side to side. I've assembled the MP units and the fit was better.

The design of having two gaskets is just bad (factory or aftermarket) in my opinion.  :eek2:

kcederwall08

You should definately be able to get the pan out with minimal trouble. I pulled the pan off of my 383-438 stroker motor with no problems. I only had to remove the steering arm that goes underneath it.

I have the 440source windage tray also, but I havent had any real leaking problems with it.  :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Mike, the oilpan can be removed from below. Just drop the centerlink and raise the engine a bit to access the front bolts easier.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Hey Ron, I've decided NOT to pull the motor to fix the pan and "other" issues.  ;D

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on August 04, 2009, 06:49:32 AM
Hey Ron, I've decided NOT to pull the motor to fix the pan and "other" issues.  ;D

There's really no need to pull the engine for the service work you want to perform....everything is easily acessible from the engine bay and below.

I'm surprised to hear the pan gasket is leaking. Didn't you use Ultra Copper on all the surfaces and allow it to set-up before final tightening ? As long as the surfaces are clean and straight there should be no problems getting it to seal up. The key is to allow the RTV to bond for several hours....tightening the bolts too early just pushes it out.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Yep, did the ultra copper RTV and the allow to set up process we discussed while the engine was on the stand. It didn't leak until my second oil change. My oil pressure was about 90 PSI (pegged) and then it started to leak sadly.

Next time I'm seriously considering ditching the tray. I HATE LEAKS of any kind.