News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pitman arm help

Started by mopar0166, July 09, 2009, 09:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

the pitman arm was already installed and i had to take the nut off for the steering linkage to fix the boot.  now i can get the nut to tighten with out spinning the shaft of the pitman arm .  should it be off the jacks to put more pressure on te shaft so it wont spin, or is a thread buggered up and needs a die to correct please advise.   I dont remember what we did this winter during install.   

thanks again everyone in advance, by the way its a 69 if thats important.   :shruggy:

Long Island RT

Sounds like your threads are messed up.  You should be able to hand spin on the nut until it touches the steering linkage.  As soon as you put pressure on the linkage it should stop any spinning inside the joint.  The joint should not move too easily, if it's loose - it should be replaced.

If it's not - try squeezing the linkage on with a little pressure using a vice grip or a c-clamp.  Make sure there's no grease on the shaft or the steering linkage.

Good Luck.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

mopar0166

thanks for the quick reply, i just closed the garage for the nite so ill try tommorow with a die and let you know how i make out.  thanks again

mopar0166

its all good!  thanks for the advice!