News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drivers talking on cell phones!

Started by bakerhillpins, July 29, 2009, 03:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

I though I would share this rather amusing and at the same time not so amusing story that was just pointed out to me on the motorcycle list I am a member of.

I guess the fact that I have almost been turned into a hood ornament by folks like this several dozen times (many just recently) and continue to witness absolutely deplorable driving while following idiots on phones gives me a tad of solace that at least two of them were scooped up. I figured some of the other guys around here on bikes might enjoy the story too.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/111893-soccer-mom.html

Frankly, taking on a cell phone (hands free systems withstanding) while driving should be illegal in every state if you ask me.

Ride safe and keep the rubber side down!

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

ODZKing

:iagree:  It is illegal here in NYS but how is talking "hands free" make it all right?  You're full attention is still not on the road.

dodgecharger-fan

It's a law here in Ontario, but not yet in effect.. soon I think.

With all due respect to LEOs, I have to mention that the worst offenders around here are the local police.
The scariest thing I've seen is a police car turn the corner, driver with his left hand to left ear and half way through the turn, right hand leaves the steering wheel to attend to something on the dash/seat - likely the radio or computer. He made it, but that doesn't make it right.

I wonder what would have happened if I had gotten in an accident because I was so distracted by his actions.  :scratchchin:

Okay, they may be tied with young girls. Couple the one handed driving with floor-it-til-I-need-to-brake and turn-half-the-corner-before-actually-coming-to-a-stop and you get some pretty scary driving.

I swear, I see an instance of phone-glued-to-ear syndrome with one or both groups every time I'm out and about.

Sometimes I wonder if they are even actually on a call - I don't see them talking - and maybe it's just stuck there.

Fair disclosure: I do talk on the phone but I use a wireless headset and I use voice dialling. If I don't have the number stored, I can say the numbers to dial. If it doesn't work the first time. I give up and wait until I'm stopped to dial by hand. Yes, I do dial at a red light even though they say not to. I always start dialling right away and watch the other light. If it turns yellow, I stop, scan my mirrors and look around and prepare to get moving again. Have I ever dialled and drove and talked while driving? Yes.

As for hands-free, I don't think it's that much different than having a conversation with someone else in the car. Since you couldn't regulate that, you can't really regulate hands-free phone conversations. We'd all have to be driving single seaters with a dome of silence on them to enforce that.. Shoot! did I just give the government an idea?

bakerhillpins

Hands free systems, to me anyhow, are no different from having a conversation with someone else in the car. While I don't own one myself (cell or hands free system) the attention paid to holding the phone to your ear and or trying to pin it to your ear with your shoulder seems to be enough.

I understand your perspective, after all it seems to be no different, but for whatever reason all of my recent (past couple years) experiences with weaving in and out of lanes, missing traffic signals and a variety of other inattentive behaviors witnessed were all associated with people with cells up to their ears.  :rotz:

Because I am on a motorcycle for the majority of my travel during the non snow months I really pay attention to other drivers behavior. It believe it keeps me alive longer.  :icon_smile_big:

YMMV
Bryan
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

mauve66

they should require more and stricter drivers training, having a cell phone (hands free or otherwise) is no different than
opening your mail
typing on a laptop
watching tv
looking at your passenger when you talk to them (you know who you are, you can't talk to someone and look at something else at the same time)
eating
drinking
yelling at your kids
yelling at your spouse
having sex
talking on a CB radio
changing radio stations
texting
the government just needs a way to increase revenue so they punish EVERYONE for the mis deeds of a few, same goes with seatbelts, why fine someone if THEY don't want THEIR seatbelt on?? Their the only ones getting killed (children are a whole nother issue cause they are minors), if they want to get killed why do we care??  REVENUE ENHANCEMENT
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bakerhillpins

I agree that the licensing standards should be increased, its the old license from a cracker jack box idea now.

Yes, its no different from any of those other issues (sex always seems like an interesting thing to do while driving  :D, reminds me of Steve Martin in "Parenthood") and frankly it should all be covered under the laws regarding driving while impaired (or what ever the term is). I suspect that it's more difficult to make those stick since there is lots of interpretation going on in how laws are applied. So they grab the biggest offender (most prolific in this case) and make a specific law.

The seat belt laws (minors excluded) and helmet laws are bogus, and if folks are to stupid to use them then that is good for the gene pool.  :Twocents:

Bryan
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Charger_Fan

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 29, 2009, 03:05:45 PM

It sez I have to join to see the thread. :'(

Anyway, while I agree that cell phone use while driving is a hazard for everyone, TEXTING is the real problem these days! :rotz:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Silver R/T

cell phones are illegal in WA, gotta have bluetooth
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Charger_Fan on July 29, 2009, 06:27:29 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 29, 2009, 03:05:45 PM

It sez I have to join to see the thread. :'(

Anyway, while I agree that cell phone use while driving is a hazard for everyone, TEXTING is the real problem these days! :rotz:

I am not a member of that board and was able to view it yesterday... I suspect the mods flipped a switch because their BW was going through the roof.

In fact, I clicked on the link this AM and got a BW exceeded fault. DOH! :icon_smile_blackeye:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Shakey

People shouldn't talk on cell phones when driving - but it's OK when I do it!

CB

Heard it on the news today: 75% more chance to cause an accident or get involved  while on the phone and driving.
Leave that mobile phone in the console when you're  :drive:

CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Shakey on July 30, 2009, 08:00:27 AM
People shouldn't talk on cell phones when driving - but it's OK when I do it!

:poke:    :nono:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

RECHRGD

Quote from: Silver R/T on July 29, 2009, 08:33:32 PM
cell phones are illegal in WA, gotta have bluetooth

Silver, Yes they are now illegal, BUT, it's only a secondary offense.  Meaning that you cannot be pulled over for it.  If your pulled over for speeding and happen to have your phone glued to your ear, then they can cite you for it.  I noticed only a slight reduction of drivers talking into their phones right after the law went into affect, but now it's as bad as ever.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

derailed

Quote from: mauve66 on July 29, 2009, 03:48:13 PM
Their the only ones getting killed (children are a whole another issue cause they are minors), if they want to get killed why do we care??  REVENUE ENHANCEMENT
I see what your saying here but thats not always the case. I remember an accident I personally saw when I was younger where a lady pulled out in front of traffic in her car. The lady that T boned her blasted her head off the windshield, knocked her out then came to rest with her foot on the accelerator and shot across the road into a hardware store injuring somone and getting killed herself. As far as cells go I feel the penalties should be stiffer and should pertain to ALL drivers including law enforcement and especially commercial vehicles.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: ODZKing on July 29, 2009, 03:14:25 PM
:iagree:  It is illegal here in NYS but how is talking "hands free" make it all right?  You're full attention is still not on the road.

You talk to other people riding in the car with you dont you?

Todd

derailed

Yeah without looking at a keypad pushing buttons