News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leave the spare tire in the trunk when at the strip?

Started by RECHRGD, July 04, 2009, 01:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I have always emptied the trunk when racing, but traction is always an issue.  Would any added traction gained by leaving the spare in the trunk be nullified by the added weight?  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

deputycrawford

I have done both at the track. I don't seem to notice any difference. Do you have an adjustable snubber? I put mine on when I get to the track and spin it all the way to the floor pan. That seems to work. The pin style doesn't get enough adjustment. Get the threaded adjustment snubber. Good Luck

Jerry
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

RECHRGD

Quote from: deputycrawford on July 04, 2009, 01:58:01 PM
     I have done both at the track. I don't seem to notice any difference. Do you have an adjustable snubber? I put mine on when I get to the track and spin it all the way to the floor pan. That seems to work. The pin style doesn't get enough adjustment. Get the threaded adjustment snubber. Good Luck

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!  I kinda thought there wouldn't be much difference.  I'm with you on the pin type snubber.  I'll need to get the screw type.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Ghoste

Yes to all of the above.  I think the spare in the trunk thing is a bigger issue in Sotck Eliminator type of classes where they can't do much to the suspension.

BBKNARF

Jerry is right, you can fine tune with the threaded snubber, mine works great.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Runner

bob, your best bet is some form of sticky tire. i might have an old set of slick laying around that stuill have some passes in them.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

RECHRGD

Quote from: Runner on July 06, 2009, 10:39:08 PM
bob, your best bet is some form of sticky tire. i might have an old set of slick laying around that stuill have some passes in them.

Thanks Mike!  I think I'll start looking into getting some DOT drag radials and mount them on some generic wheels just for trips to the track.  When are you coming up again?  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

Bob, i was just up there last weekend for the hot rod nationals. im not sure when ill come next, i want to get at least one more trip in, plus i might come up and just watch again.   the track is really putting on some good shows this year.

RECHRGD

Let me know when your coming up next time and I'll try to be there.  Rumor has it that some people are cancelling out on the shows for fear of not getting paid.  It seems that Bucky has a problem paying his bills.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

i havent heard that people are cancelling out of the shows, but i do know there has been ALOT of big time cars at several races with little fan support. they are having  50k in purses at a race around the first of august.   i wonder were all the fans are to be honest,  the show has been much better than any world finals race that ive been to but limited buts in the stands.     i have read that he wasnt paying the county (but i believe he is current now) and that he owes like a million dollars in track repairs.   i think he bit off alot, then had the economy go to hell on him fast and this type of deal is the first thing people give up when they need to save a buck.    i hope it all works out,  it honestly is the best track surface ive ever raced on anywere (including woodburn).

ill let ya know the next time i come up, i dont have any hard plans right now.    i think youll really like a sticky tire at the track. 

deputycrawford

Hey rechrgd. I have run MT drag radils on my car for years. I have yet to take them off. I have driven three hours one way to shows with the tires. Keep them around 32 psi for the street and air them way down at the track. I have thousands of miles on my second set. ( I stopped using the water box.)
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.