News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

door hinge replacement

Started by twodko, June 22, 2009, 02:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Hello all,

Before my car goes in for paint I need to replace the bottom driver's side hinge. It looks like I'll need to remove the fender to do this..........yes/no? Thanks

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

b5blue

Nope...everything just clears.  :2thumbs:

twodko

How exactly should I go about this? Do I removed the bolts from the frame pillar first through the tight opening between the door edge and fender? Thanks B5

Tom

69hemi

Easier to remove the hinge at the door, remove the door then remove the hinge.  Scribe some alignment marks to get it back in the ball park when you put it back on.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

twodko

Thanks for those details and my door thanks you too!

Tom

b5blue

I just put a jack under the door, took off the bottom hinge and put the new one on. Adjust and done...took 1/2 hour.

twodko

Thanks Neal

I'm going to squirt mine with some touchup and give the install a go saturday!

Tom

b5blue

I used a block of 2x4 and a rag to spread the pressure out on the bottom of the door (an assistant to help stabilize would have been nicer to) if you give yourself enough room to get around the door fully open and have the kick panel off, to soak the bolts with PB Blaster, only 1 bolt comes out from between the door/fender, and it's a close fit. I chipped my paint but my paint is so crappy it didn't matter. Have a "6 inch toggle head 3/8 extension" and it would be a cake walk. Just take your time and adjust carefully before slamming the door shut! Be ready to adjust in/out on the door side of the hinge and up/down on the post side and you may need to re-adjust the top one to dial it in. Do small changes and tighten down well as the door is heavy and I remember thinking I "had it" then torquing it down and it changing. GOOD LUCK!