News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

so is a fiat now considered a mopar or is a mopar a fiat

Started by oldgold69, June 22, 2009, 08:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgold69

when chrysler took over amc . it was accepted into the mopar family  when chrysler got bought out by benz . people thought it would help  chrysler   two sales later their owned by ghdaffi  it comes down to this question is my yugo which is a fiat 124 now a mopar :shruggy:

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

Your Yugo is a communist clone and Mopar is a Fiat owned brand subject to the same fears and limitations as Plymouth or Oldsmobile or Pontiac.  :icon_smile_big:

oldgold69

everyone knows communism is dead. im  just trying to feel better about  having  a socalist clown car :smilielol:

Ghoste

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's dead, China seems to be rising as the new world empire pretty damned quickly. :o
More importantly though I think you're just going to have to accept that whatever it was that made Mopar cool it just isn't going to rub off onto the Yugo no matter how many Lira or EC dollars or whatever the Hell the new owners are going to pump into (suck out of?) Chrysler.  I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you that.  :angel:

oldgold69

i stand corrected .  i just thought that with fiat owning chrysler.  we will  see new models that will look like my yugo  a small box with 4 tires and a steering wheel   i inherited the car from my aunt [yes she did like me] 

Aero426

As a long time Fiat owner, I might get the last laugh after enduring years of abuse.  :hah:

By the way, the Yugo was based off the Fiat 128, not the 124.  Way different cars.   This is a 124 Spider.    It has twin cams, a 5-speed and 4 wheel discs, and came to market in 1967.   For the time, it was a pretty advanced car.

Ghoste

And oldgold, you could well see some tiny boxy cars coming to these shores and being sold throught the Chrysler dealer network.  I know of one local dealer here that would like to have that happen and he seems to think it will.  It's for sure the Obamalites want it to happen, the hardcore would like to see nothing but tiny boxes if there must be any cars at all.

Foreman72

my question still remains, what happens to all the mopar licensed parts/NOS parts ect... :shruggy:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Ghoste

I would think that licensed parts will be safe.  Chrysler is investing nothing but lawyer fees to for that area as the very idea of being "licensed parts" is that they have given someone else the blessing to repop it.  It might not be a high profit center as a bottom line total but return on investment would be pretty good.  IMO

skip68

Is there going to be a joint built car ?  Or, is this just a business deal on paper for Fiat ?  My guess would be that Fiat is going to keep Fiat as Fiat and Dodge as Dodge but who knows what will happen.    
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Brock Samson

here is the fiat 500 that Chrysler will most likely sell,..
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4301817.html
though i don't know the marketing plans but i doubt it'll be rebadged as a Chrysler,.. noone's gonna belive that...
one BIG problem CDJ had was the that the Neon replacment the Caliber was too big, sorry,..  is too big...
It's just not the answer for folks looking for a small car, I never see them here. never.
it's more of a big car then a small car, and though i realize alot of folks here are located in americas' heartland midsection or whatever here in the city, when gas is approching $5.00 per gal. which it will before the yr is out.
folks are gonna want tiny fuel sippers with MPG better then 35 MPG.
there are so many BMW built mini coopers, Priusius and Honda Fits Scions and the like here and No Calibers,.. none.
what is the smallist CDJ built?.. the caliber,.. because we pay the highest amount for gas in the nation and our gas just topped $3.00 per gallon and is on it's way up... up $1.40 per Gal. in the past five Mos. the car buying habbits here forshadow the future. Sub-compacts will take an ever increasing share and whatever salesmen are left will be happy to have the 500. also see the grand Punto... which maybe rebadged...  :shruggy:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4301654.html

Ghoste

My understanding was that it is much like the Benz deal but without the subterfuge about a "merger".  Fiat owns the majority of Chrysler and there should be some shared technology and perhaps access to each ones dealer network.  But that is my understanding, it has nothing to do with what the facts may be.

oldgold69

i knew it was a 12?  forgive me i didnt mean to insult you  i wish it was a 124   nice looking car   maybe they will design the next omni  it made chrysler a ton of money in its day    

Aero426

Quote from: oldgold69 on June 22, 2009, 11:02:10 AM
i knew it was a 12?  forgive me i didnt mean to insult you  i wish it was a 124   nice looking car   maybe they will design the next omni  it made chrysler a ton of money in its day    

No insult taken.   Hey, owning a Fiat for 20 years, I have heard them all!

Fix it Again Tomorrow
Found Inoperative Again Today
F***, It's Another Transmission!

HPP

So long as it is a topolino with a hemi, it is a mopar. Anything they build after this point is subject to interpretation though.

FWIW, the new Ram 1500 crew cab is the only product design to come from the short lived Cerebus deal. I thought they did much better with it than Chrysler or Benz have done with crew cabs over the last 15 years, IMO. I have to wonder what else they could have come up with if everything hadn't fallen apart around them.  Now if I could only afford one, I'd be a happy camper.

Sorry, can't help you with the Yugo clown car guilt. But you could drop a 318 in to it, cage it and have lotsa fun at a mopar meet.

Aero426

Quote from: HPP on June 22, 2009, 11:42:37 AM

Sorry, can't help you with the Yugo clown car guilt. But you could drop a 318 in to it, cage it and have lotsa fun at a mopar meet.

The hot ticket on sleeper Yugo's is to drop in the larger Fiat X1/9 SOHC engine.   No joke.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: skip68 on June 22, 2009, 10:55:58 AM
Is there going to be a joint built car ?  Or, is this just a business deal on paper for Fiat ?  My guess would be that Fiat is going to keep Fiat as Fiat and Dodge as Dodge but who knows what will happen.    
I would assume so, too. At least for the first little while, then maybe there will be more Fiat influence showing up.
I see this merger as not much different than when Daimler bought Mopar...just more of the same. ::)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)