News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

kickdown linkage

Started by charger72, September 15, 2005, 03:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger72

I have a 74 picup with a smallblock 727. I went on a trip the other day(about 50miles round trip) and on the way back I notced the truck seemed like it was in low gear even though it wasnt even though I could go any speed withou problems. Went I got home I found that the kickdown liknage cam unhooked underneath. I hooked it back up, but now its still acts like its driving in low gear and shifts at 25 and 45mph. Note, when I first put the motor/tranny in the truck it did the same thing, but I adjusted the lever to shift at 20 and 30 and it was fine. I tried to do the same thing, it worked when I went around town, but is back to doing it today again. I checked and it isnt leaking or low. Why would it be doing this?

Ghoste

charger72

its not slipping at all, just takes along time to shift and vibrates alittle(seems like its in low gear)I di know that when im driving and I slow down for light then take off quick the tranny stays in drive. only shifts down if I completely stop or i manually shift it down or floor it.

Ghoste

charger72

every once in awhile into drive. that why im wondering if maybe having the kickdown unhooked it messed something up

Ghoste

Or it's adjusted too tight.  The kickdown also controls line pressure and consequently shift points.  Having too much will make it shift at higher rpm and harder.  Try setting it to the factory spec.

charger72

how do you set them, i've been told alot of different ways. I might change it over to a lokar but hate to since I plow with it and it would get pretty rusty.

Ghoste

Is it a one piece or a three piece style?

charger72

I believe it is a one piece. has the adjustble length rod to the tranny, then the adjustable length rod to the throttle arm.

Ghoste

I posted a thread with a scan of the fsm for adjusting kickdowns as they pertain to the 69 model year in the engines and transmissions forum.
Generally, the point where the throttle is at wide open, you would like the kickdown lever on the trans to be nearly at full travel as well.  I'll see if I have a factory procedure on the one piece around here. John Kunkel has posted some excellent instructions on properly setting these up as well but I'm not sure which thread(s) at the moment.

charger72

Thanks for the help Ghoste, I found the single hook up on the diagram. I have the top have of the single(first pic) and the hemi bottom (2nd pic)on my truck. The way they said to set it up is the way i've been doing so at least I know.

Ghoste

Well then, we still haven't solved your problem, have we?

mopar0166

in the same boat but with a 904 trans  :popcrn: