News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

904 shifter, cant really find the answer i need

Started by mopar0166, June 12, 2009, 02:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

I have a 69 charger with a stock shifter, it has a 318/904 and i cant get it to shift to first.  the car does not have a kickdown and when I adjusted the linkage (BAR WITH A BOLT TO ADJUST ) I got first great but then didn't get park.  which was fun.        I'm looking to adjust it right so that i can get first and park???  any ideas on the proper way to adjust the shifter to allow this ?  thanks in advance! :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

First off, be sure all of the plastic bushings in the various parts of the linkage are intact and not worn excessively. Slop in the linkage can prevent full travel.

If the linkage is solid it's possible that there is a mismatch of parts, a transmission lever that is too long will prevent reaching both Park and 1st.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TylerCharger69

:iagree: Sounds like the shift lever on the transmission itself is too long.  Probably a 727 TF piece on that 904. Too much throw and not enough travel....Just a hunch.