News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone happy with front disc swap???

Started by chargerman67, May 23, 2009, 10:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman67

I have been noticing mainly all complaints about SSBC and wilwood front drum-disc swaps. The only one I haven't read complaints on was the swap written about in http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html . Anyone that has had a successful swap using a kit or the way mentioned in this article please let me know and tell me how you did it.I am ready to go for it but it seems like there are a lot more negative posts about SSBC that positive ones. I would really rather not go salvage yard hopping for the parts but if it is the only sure way of getting a good set up I will do it.
   ANY info on a successful swap would be very much appreciated!  :2thumbs:

eagerly awaiting your responses...    :popcrn:

btw this website is off the chain.

PS. my car is a 67 if you didn't already figure that out from my handle
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

c00nhunterjoe

you cant go wrong with this kit- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-Chrysler-B-E-Body-62-72_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33564QQihZ024QQitemZ370195138371

it saves you the hassle of goign junkyard hopping and the price cant be beat. its only a few dollars more then peiceing a kit together at advance auto and it comes with everything.

if you want to then you can also go this route- 165 bucks from them for a spacer and the caliper brackets. it allows you to use your stock spindle and all aftermarket parts form any napa, autozone, advance auto- http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=13

the scarebird method is on my friends 67 belvedere and it stops very nice. its stll manual brakes but there is a big improvement. you can convert to power easily

mikepmcs

What are the problems with the wilwood kit?  I put one on my car and although my brakes were junk, it wasn't because of the front brake setup.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

chargerman67

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 23, 2009, 11:03:32 PM
you cant go wrong with this kit- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-Chrysler-B-E-Body-62-72_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33564QQihZ024QQitemZ370195138371

it saves you the hassle of going junkyard hopping and the price cant be beat. its only a few dollars more then piecing a kit together at advance auto and it comes with everything.

if you want to then you can also go this route- 165 bucks from them for a spacer and the caliper brackets. it allows you to use your stock spindle and all aftermarket parts form any Nap, autozone, advance auto- http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=13

the scarebird method is on my friends 67 belvedere and it stops very nice. its still manual brakes but there is a big improvement. you can convert to power easily

You used this kit off ebay? does it require the part from scarebird? anyone else use this kit that can add feedback would be awesome!
67 Dodge Charger 440
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

Rolling_Thunder

are you looking for a stock 15" wheel clearance ?  if so the kit on E-bay is the same kit used on the mopar disc-o-tech kit
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Steve P.

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 24, 2009, 11:25:49 PM
are you looking for a stock 15" wheel clearance ?  if so the kit on E-bay is the same kit used on the mopar disc-o-tech kit

I agree.  Many thousands of us are using this conversion. Not specifically THIS KIT, but the later model brakes. CH Joe is right. The price is set pretty good for all NEW parts. I have a few sets I pulled from the bone yards and with all the new parts you SHOULD use you really just can't beat it...

If you have a good bone yard you like and the prices are good, you can save a chunk of cash. If you like the idea of ALL NEW and time is a concern you really can't beat that ebay deal...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

tommymac

I used a premo kit from Jegs,all new stuff,Spindles Cross drilled vented rotors,Single piston calipers,SS hoses Porp valve MC and Booster, All gm stuff but it works good. I sent back the booster and MC and got a 72 Duster MC from NAPA,it fit on the 68 booster Around 525.00,They stop a lot better than drum brakes I also put in a vacuum pump when I had Drums but rarely use it now.

mopar0166

i got the kit off ebay and it works great. stops great and wasnt too bad to install.  cant beat the price for what you get

bull

That Ebay kit is priced very well. I spent that much or more on my mopartech upgrade and I still had to go yard-hopping to get the spindles and adapters. However I also got a master cylinder, a residual pressure valve and a proportioning valve which accounts for an additional $140.

chargerman67

Thanks for the input guys. Will take all that into consideration.  :cheers:
67 Dodge Charger 440
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

mopar0166

I got the whole setup for about 500 i think!

1970Moparmann

What is needed outside of what is included with the Ebay set up?  Proportioning valve?

Anyone know how big the rotors are?

:2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

bull

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on June 01, 2009, 03:43:41 PM
What is needed outside of what is included with the Ebay set up?  Proportioning valve?

Anyone know how big the rotors are?

:2thumbs:

You're going to also need a master cylinder, a residual pressure valve and a proportioning valve. There's no hint as to what size the rotors are in that kit. Gotta be either 10.87" or 11.75", either of which is going to work much better than drums, but you'd have to ask the seller to be sure.

mopar0166

only thing that i bought was new brake lines, and mounting bolts for the port valve becuase we moved it.  it came with everything else.   :cheers:

hemirr

I pulled the spindles, rotors and calipers form a 85 5th Ave and put on my 68 charger.  Used a master cylinder and proportioning valve form Master Power Brakes.  Works great total cost including rebuilt calipers and turning rotors about $250.00

The spindles are the same as Diplomat, Cordoba etc.  They are in turn are the same as early 70's A bodys, which is what the kit guys used.  Spent a few hours at a Dodge dealer with old parts books and time at the junk yard with older interchange book.  I spent a lot of time researching while restoring my 68 charger.  Time paid off via big $$ savings.