News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey, engine Guy's

Started by 400/6/PAC, May 26, 2009, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400/6/PAC

I'm trying to find out what My spark plug gap should be.
1973 Dodge Charger.
The plugs are NGKBPRGES ( could be 6ES, I'm blind )
I have a 400 6 pac with stage 6 aluminum heads, Hydraulic cam and lifters, Roller rockers, Not sure about the crank,
I also have fresh oil on the plugs.
The car only has about 450 miles on it, could it be that the rings have not seated, causing the oil?
Thanks for the help.

maxwellwedge

You can't go wrong with a .035" gap. Oil on the plugs - could be valve stem seals or worn or incorrectly gapped rings or oval bore. What kind of rings? Chrome-Moly should be almost immediate break-in. The old chrome rings broke in 3 years after you sell the car.

400/6/PAC

Not sure about the rings
The piece of Sh#t shop that built the motor never would give Me a build sheet.
# 7 plug is the only one with no oil, But it was very loose when I pulled them out. :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Are you using synthetic oil ? The engine should be broken in on dino lube to help seat the rings.  :yesnod:

With stock ignition .035 is fine. If using an MSD box you can safely open them up to .045   ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

400/6/PAC

Yes I am using synthetic oil.
Should I change the oil?
Thanks

maxwellwedge

Also check your PCV and valve cover venting for proper operation. Great point on the oil firefighter!

firefighter3931

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on May 27, 2009, 06:36:02 AM
Yes I am using synthetic oil.
Should I change the oil?
Thanks

Yep, the synthetic oil will not allow the rings to seat up properly.....i'll bet that's your issue !  ;)

Get some dino oil in there with a bottle of ZZDP+ for cam/lifter protection. Castrol GTX or Valvoline VR1 20/50 racing oil. Napa Gold oil filter. Run it for at least a few thousand miles then swap over to synthetic if you feel the need to do so.

An NGK 6 series plug is the right heat range for a pump gas build like yours. Swap in a new set of plugs while you're doing the oil change.  :yesnod:

Ron

Ps. Once you've swapped in the new oil/filter and plugs go out and drive it hard. One thing that helps to accelerate the ring seat is to bring up the rpms and let off the throttle to "load" the engine. Bring it up to 4500-5000 in first gear and let the engine do the braking.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

400/6/PAC

I'll get to work on that.
Thanks Guy's :2thumbs: