News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for advice on rust/mouse eradication

Started by Peters02, May 27, 2009, 08:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peters02

I have been disassembling the 72 Charger I parked in a barn 17 years ago.  It's down to the bare bones and while I was scraping the undercoating off last weekend I came back to a few issues I am not sure how to resolve.
a) when I bang on the frame (which is solid), rust and mouse crap (nuts, dirt, etc.) fall from holes in the frame
b) it has a lovely odor of mouse crap

The question here is how does one empty out the frame rails of scale and any other loose garbage and eradicate any and all signs of mice?

Am I resigned to dipping the thing or is there another less costly solution?  (called Chem Strip here in NC and they want $2500 for dipping just the body...ouch)

Thank you.
Peter

69*F5*SE

Do you have an air hose with an attachment for blowing?  That's what I had to do with my frame rails to clean the sand and junk after sandblasting.  Use the holes in the frame rails in several directions to see how much will come out.  Sometimes you got to be creative when dealing with these old cars.  If you're going to have her dipped even a water hose might work. 

bigroge1

hope u wear protective clothing and breathing mask when goin around rust and rat pooh. it took me three weeks to clean the garage out and rat proof it. and another week to degrease the charger from all the crap that was in it. be patient with the cleaning and save ur money but if u wanna get it really clean at a low cost get a 90$ power washer from home depot and lots of degreaser from walmart :popcrn:

mopar goddess

maxwellwedge

Lots of Javex/Clorox or get a special product that is available for rodents, rent a steam pressure washer and blast away in every accessable hole there is. Then repeat a few times. The urine smell will come back on warm days if you don't do a very thorough job....trust me on this. I used a body rotator to get all the nooks and crannies as well.
Dipping doesn't sound so expensive when it comes to a lifetime of mouse stink.

I'll get the name of the product for you.

Peters02

All good advice.  Thanks. 
I guess I should not worry about introducing moisture to the car at this point?
Is the thinking that dumping some rust preventative in the frame rails at the time of painting will take care of any rust I promote by going to down with the washing?