News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need wiring help with my 79 dodge ramcharger

Started by sunroofblacklee, May 21, 2009, 12:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunroofblacklee

Just wondering if any one could help me. I have a 79 dodge ramcharger that is really clean with pretty much an uncut harness. I been driving it around for a while and just recently installed a new radio in it. One night we had a bomb fire and left the radio playing in it for a while. The next morning I notice the truck wasnt keeping a charge so purchased a new alt and installed it. I drove it around that day with it charging about 3/4 the way up. When I would come to a stop it would drop down to about half way. The next morning I got up to take it down to the store and noticed it was pegged out charging. I pulled over and noticed smoke coming out from behind my dash were the amp meter gauge was. When I brought it back to the garage I thought maybe I have the fields backwards so I switched them and it then went to half way and no more smoke. The truck seemed to run fine with no issue untill that night when I turned my head lights on and the gauge went down to the 1/4 mark and the lights were really dim.  Pulled it back in the garage and notice the red wire at the alt was burnt up all the way back to a junction of wires and it seemed to be fine after that. I replaced the bunt wire and still no change. I've taken reading with a volt meter but have no idea of what the reading actually mean. If any one has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks for any help.
1969 dodge charger r/t 440, hemi 4 speed, dana 60, triple black

b5blue

You should never charge a dead battery with your charging system...(say it 3 times) you throw the whole system into overload!!  :eek2: Now you have to go back to step one and check everything after making sure the battery is at 100%. Really nice truck by the way! Pull the alt. and have it checked for output and check all the wiring for any sign of melting under the hood and the dash and keep your fingers crossed. (check the bulkhead connector its a weak point in the system...unplug it and see if the brass tangs are burnt looking) Good luck, maybe you just overworked the alt. (by the way it's a very common mistake I learned about from friends who own a battery and alt. rebuild shop for the last 35 years)

sunroofblacklee

It melted the red wire at the alt quite aways back. Thanks for the info, I wanted to rebuild the motor so I think this would be a great time to do it. When I put it back in I'll put all new every thing and hopefully I wont have any problems.

b5blue

Good luck! It's a sharp truck!  :2thumbs: Check out Nacho's upgrades there great!

Nacho-RT74

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33574.0.html

I AM REALLY  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

with that truck

and when I say drooling REALLY DROOLING!!!

what color the top is ? tan ? white ? orange ? black ?

if you can send me pics will be great
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mikepmcs

Ignacio's thread says it all so nothing to add there.

That backdrop looks familiar........was that picture taken on rte 2 just before the gas station(they sell chester chicken and there is a small auto dealer across the street)
I remember seeing a Challenger in that lot once too.  I used to pass that place every day going to the reserve center. 
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

b5blue

sunroofblacklee

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 23, 2009, 12:04:50 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33574.0.html

I AM REALLY  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

with that truck

and when I say drooling REALLY DROOLING!!!
what color the top is ? tan ? white ? orange ? black ?

if you can send me pics will be great

Thanks, here's some more pictures of it. It's all original paint and the interior needs al little work. It's sitting out in front of my tanning salon, the challenger was my old car that I wish I still had. That was the one I regret ever selling. Was a real triple black r/t se 4 speed car.

sunroofblacklee

Was this the challenger you saw? :'(

b5blue

mikepmcs

I can only say that I saw a black one, and a wicked nice one at that, as I was just cruising by.  Used to be a real nice pickup as well that I saw once or twice.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?