News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

sell charger for challenger

Started by rick.d, May 19, 2009, 07:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick.d

Just wanted to know how many of you would do this. i really want a new Challenger but can do without the high car payment, so i have thought about selling my charger. I was too young to buy a charger "new" and ive always liked the challengers anyway. This is my chance to get that "new" musclecar to see what they were like. On the other hand i know my charger will only go up in value as the challenger goes down over the next few years. Ive only heard/read great things about the challenger, and with the impending meltdown at chrysler im not sure if i should wait. Have any of you done this? Do you have any regrets???

mikepmcs

If you are talking about your second gen charger, then I would say no to that myself.  Reason being is you will regret getting rid of the Charger and might not be able to get back into one for easy money in the future. 
Say you get 20k for the Charger...are you going to dump 20k on the new Challenger?   I would have a hard time doing that myself.  Maybe 10k to get the payments reasonable and then the other 10k to get another classic mopar....that might be feasible. :scratchchin:

But then my mind goes to how much does 10k actually lower the payments, can I get away with 5k down and see where that takes my payments, etc..... in the end I personally would most likely end up keeping the 20k and getting the challenger and using that money to buy other stuff like another mopar or mods for the challenger....so you can see how twisted my mind works, I can rationalize anything so it works for me. :lol:

I don't know what you have or what your car is worth,  but i'd say if it can't get at least 20k, then I wouldn't even consider parting with it. That's just my.02

Now if it's worth a ton, then I would say go ahead and get your 40k, then throw half on the Challenger and take the other half and buy another Charger.

I have no intentions of selling my charger, unless somebody offers me a ridiculous figure.  In the end, my charger(although just a driver) would never be sold to buy a new car.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: rick.d on May 19, 2009, 07:26:14 AM
Just wanted to know how many of you would do this. i really want a new Challenger but can do without the high car payment, so i have thought about selling my charger. I was too young to buy a charger "new" and ive always liked the challengers anyway. This is my chance to get that "new" musclecar to see what they were like. On the other hand i know my charger will only go up in value as the challenger goes down over the next few years. Ive only heard/read great things about the challenger, and with the impending meltdown at chrysler im not sure if i should wait. Have any of you done this? Do you have any regrets???
New gets old fast.  Go ride a couple at a Dealership and get it out of your system.  I was going to buy a new Camaro, and then thought how the Camaro will cost more in taxs and ins and only depreciate, so I'm keeping the Charger.

Brock Samson

There are pros and cons to both, i've concidered it too...
with the old school there's real rarity there plus the emotional attachment since i built the car begininng 25 yrs ago and have wanted it for 40 years,..
Yes the new school has the convienience factor of modern amenities,..
but again the old stuff you can work on without voiding the warrantee,..
So there are some other conciderations besides depreciation...
another i can think of is the insurance of a collector car at full value which are remarkably low Vs. the new car insurance rates which are pretty high, in this zip code anyway...
I think it's best to have a nice daily driver and the old school muscle for sundays...
Now a nice daily could be anything - I like my cars are all paid off and i don't have a monthly payment on any of my four.
I don't know about your charger, don't remember seeing it so a direct comparo is impossible,..
If it's a clapped out 318 of course a new Chally looks pretty good....  :shruggy:

Ghoste

There is a lot to be said for either way, I think it really comes down to you asking yourself which car you like better. 

472 R/T SE

My buddy has a very nice all original red '69 Coronet R/T, n96, 4 gear & an original blue '69 Dart, 383, pdb, 4 gear.
He says he only wants one old hot rod & would like to score a Chally now.  I'm gonna list his Dart on ebay this weekend.  I never thought he'd sell either one.
I know I couldn't do it.

rick.d

Thanks for the input. I think you all are right, im not going to do it. It is just so tempting, and i will get a challenger eventually. I just hope they build them for a while longer.

Dodge Don

No way. The new Chally isn't all that great. If I had multiple classic Mopars I might be convinced to trade one for a Viper GTS-R though.

Mike DC

2006 Chargers were actually pretty hot in some circles three years ago.  2005 Mustangs were smokin hot when they came out. 

But now neither one seems worthy of selling a prized classic version.  It's been an entire 3-4 years.   

Brock Samson

But they also don't change hardly anything for a half dozen years anymore - nothing to differentiate one year from another - though in the case of the (neo) charger it has grown really cool nifty white back up lights this yr...  :lol:
i think the special editions are somewhat special, though hearing of the special Hurst Challys' $36K markup makes me think you gotta have more money then sense to buy one...
of the specials I still much prefer the Bullett Mustang over the others I have seen... it's a relitive value too..
but I digress...  :shruggy:

NHCharger

Ric, your in New Hampshire. Rochester Dodge & Toyota got their divorce notice last week from Chrysler. They have THREE new Chally's sitting on their lot. Great Time to make a deal.

BTW, drove my buddies new Chally the other week. It was nice, but not the same as driving my 71 or 72 Charger.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

mikepmcs

hmmm.  looks like a red R/T  and an orange SRT.  I'm partial to the Orange SRT myself. :2thumbs:
http://rochesterlmtd.com/results.asp?newUsed=0
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

NHCharger

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 19, 2009, 09:13:13 PM
hmmm.  looks like a red R/T  and an orange SRT.  I'm partial to the Orange SRT myself. :2thumbs:
http://rochesterlmtd.com/results.asp?newUsed=0

And a blue one. Their parked right out on the side of road.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

moparheater

Keep the charger, wait a few years when the 09 challengers are cheaper, and see how you feel then!

Rolling_Thunder

Agreed...     your classic will only go up in value...      the new chally will only go DOWN...     Why pay 20K for something that will be worth 15K next year ?   :shruggy:   

If you really want one - save your bones for 2-3 years and get one at 1/2 the price they are now    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

694spdRT

I wouldn't sell either of my Charger's for one but I would like to find a way to get one though. The idea of buying a "new" Challenger R/T or SRT8 with a 6 speed off the lot does appeal to me but I don't know if it is worth the $35-45K to get it done right now. I have considered trading my '05 diesel off but trade in values are in the tank like everything else.

I do have a bad feeling this will be short lived car model because of all the factors going on now like the new CAFE standards coming in and the problems with the company itself. That is the main reason that I think sooner than later might be the time to get one of these before they are gone. The values will go down some but I don't expect the R/T's or SRT8's to ever be cheap. IMO, if you look at the used 2006 Chargers for sale they are still relatively expensive compared to a new one and way less of a car than a Challenger. :shruggy:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

devilgear

Personally I would wait a year or 2 and buy a used Challenger cheaper...I want a new Challenger too, but if you wait a little bit you can have both and have no regrets...

Ghoste

Quote from: rick.d on May 19, 2009, 07:26:14 AM
I was too young to buy a charger "new" and ive always liked the challengers anyway. This is my chance to get that "new" musclecar to see what they were like.

Of course, buying a used one defeats the whole reason you asked the question in the first place.  :icon_smile_wink:

devilgear

Yeah but 2 years old is not like 30 years...hahhaha

Ghoste

I hear ya, but when I think of buying a car new I tend to think of it as I'm the only one who ever owned it.  Future bragging rights if you have it long enough?

jb666

I wouldn't sell an old/classic Charger for a new Charger/Challenger.. If you can swing it where you have both, go for it, but keep your old car.. You'll kick yourself if you dump it.

Although, that new Challenger is HOT!!!

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/1180095315.html

:o :o :o

rick.d

You know the thing that pisses me off the most is when you talk to a dealer, they say stuff like "There arent any 6 speeds anywhere" and " Bring your charger in and WE WILL tell you EXACTLY what its worth".....Give me a break, all you got to do is go to Dodge .com and check inventories, and if that fails, look how many are on  E Bay and Craigs list already. They act like they are doing you a favor. And do i really need them to tell me what my charger is worth? What the hell makes people who sell Dodge Rams, Challengers, and minivans the subject matter expert on classics? At best they MIGHT do is have a local appraiser take a look at it, one they pull out of thier back pocket at that, and lowball it. Not to mention, the guy may or may not even have the credentials to back up his appraisal. Yeah, im all over my recent dumbattack for even thinking of doing something like that.
The other thing that kills me with these guys, or at least some of them anyway is when i call about a challenger, i want to know stuff like six speed, 20" wheels, is it a "j" package, ect.... some cant tell me, they read off a list and say stuff like... "Chrome gas cap"  "Two sunvisors"  "carpeting" "cell phone storage" and all kinds of no brainer stuff, as if they are all options that really, make the car, truly one of a kind....Next time they tell me something like that im going to ask if the rear windows roll down and see what they say!

68charger383

I think about it also.

So I often get caught up in the dilemma if I'm blowing it by letting the muscle car period occurring during my life go by without buying a new Challenger/Shelby Mustang or Camaro SS. I get pissed that the dealers are inflating the prices, building a limited amount and charging $43K MSRP which stops me from buying one.   :brickwall:

I remember thinking how cool it would have been to go and order a car from the dealer in 1969 almost as unique as I wanted it to be. However, back in 1969, I probably would have acted just like now, bitching that I'm making $2 an hour and $500 for a hemi is a rip off, $225 for the 4 speed and Dana rear option is highway robbery and by the time I'm done ordering the car I want, it will cost $4,500 and I could buy two pintos for that price.  :lol:

Bottomline, I think I'll sit and wait for the prices to come down just like the mustang and charger did after they came out a year or two. We now have the camaro to compete for the limited muscle car buyer dollar which could cause a price war.

I don't think I'd sell my 2nd gen for one since this is a luxury and money to buy another will be hard to come by again in the future.  My charger will hold its value and the challenger will only go down in value :Twocents:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

jb666

Quote from: 68charger383 on May 21, 2009, 11:34:00 PM
I think about it also.

So I often get caught up in the dilemma if I'm blowing it by letting the muscle car period occurring during my life go by without buying a new Challenger/Shelby Mustang or Camaro SS. I get pissed that the dealers are inflating the prices, building a limited amount and charging $43K MSRP which stops me from buying one.   :brickwall:

I remember thinking how cool it would have been to go and order a car from the dealer in 1969 almost as unique as I wanted it to be. However, back in 1969, I probably would have acted just like now, bitching that I'm making $2 an hour and $500 for a hemi is a rip off, $225 for the 4 speed and Dana rear option is highway robbery and by the time I'm done ordering the car I want, it will cost $4,500 and I could buy two pintos for that price.  :lol:

Bottomline, I think I'll sit and wait for the prices to come down just like the mustang and charger did after they came out a year or two. We now have the camaro to compete for the limited muscle car buyer dollar which could cause a price war.

I don't think I'd sell my 2nd gen for one since this is a luxury and money to buy another will be hard to come by again in the future.  My charger will hold its value and the challenger will only go down in value :Twocents:

Well said. When ever I think "Wow, I should have bought a new car back then" I need to remember, in 1970 my parent's bought a NICE house for $22k cash.  :lol: