News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edddy vacuum port advance

Started by billschroeder5842, April 25, 2010, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

Well, I just can't leave well enough alone....

Does it really matter which vacuum port on an Eddy that you run your distributor advance to?

I know that the port on the left is "intermittent" and the one on the right is continuous. I currently have the advance set to the left or constant side.

The car starts great, runs well except this annoying bog/flutter on take off. I gave up a long time ago on the hot rod part---I'm looking for dependability with a little kick for good measure.

Any opinions?

Texas Proud!

A383Wing

Most all of our engines ran the vacuum advance off of the "ported" or passenger side of the carb. When it's connected to this port, it will advance the distributor when accelerating from a stop.

When it's connected to the "constant" vacuum port on the drivers side of the carb, it will be advanced almost all the time and it will "retard" the timing when you hit the gas from a stop.

You might want to read here -->  http://www.setyourtiming.com/

billschroeder5842

I switched the ports and it seemed to make the hesitation "mostly" go away. Do youthink it might need an oooooch of additional timing? I'm currently at about 10-12.

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

A383Wing

Possible....first thing I would check is to make sure the accelerator pump in the carb is working when you give it gas...that will cause a "hesitation" also.

You could probably get away with a little more timing...depends on the cam profile also....I would not go any more than 15* .......

<but that's just me>

oldrock

Bill, no answers for you but I am going thru the same issues with a rebuild on my son's car. It starts easy enough and runs but has definate lag on acceleration. I will be watching your thread to see if I can get any clues what to do with my son's charger.

oldschool

unless you are near stock,i would not mess with vacuum advance.it causes more trouble than it's worth. :Twocents:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

68 RT

Edelbrocks are lean from the factory. Buy the jet and rod kit and richin it up. I had to go up one rod size then went up one primary jet size this solved the bog on my 440. Left the secondary jets as is. Also went up one color spring. Very easy to do. Bought mine from Summit Racing.  :cheers: