News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Spare Tire Hold Down Stud

Started by 68RT440, May 16, 2009, 07:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RT440

Hey guys, I just got back from the Chrysler Classic in Columbus, and I brought home a badly needed jack for my 68. After giving up my right arm to get it ($250) Im trying to gather all of the little pieces to make it go back in the car. Ive found everything i need (wing nut, spring, lug handle) but the only thing im not sure about is the stud that hooks to the floor and holds down the tire. I see year one has the studs, but they have a bunch of different lengths. Does anyone know off hand what the correct length stud I should get as well as the nut and bolt that holds the stud to the bracket? Thanks
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

charge-it

68's don,t use a stud, they use a rare and hard to find j-hook.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

68RT440

great, another hard to find part...as if the jack was easy to find.. :eek2: anyways, thanks for the heads up
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

Dennis K

So does anyone have a pic of a 68 Charger spare tire hook? I need one too, and I don't know for sure what I'm looking for.

charge-it

If it makes you feel better 250.00 is a pretty good deal for a complete jack assembly. I don't have a pic handy of the spare tire hook but they are on ebay no and then.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

68RT440

yea ive been looking for a jack for about two years now and the lowest I ever found one for was about 350. So when I saw this one today it was kind of a no-brainer...

68RT440

Dennis K

I bought one of those from that guy about a year ago, and it gets the job done and looks good, but the originals were 3/8" bolts and these ones are 5/16". The only reason I know that is I have an original wing nut, but not the hook. I'm just wondering how close in appearance the Mopar one was to the Ford and Chevy parts which are cheap and readily available, and who would know if I used a Mustang hook, which I believe is a 3/8" like the Mopar one?

mikepmcs

I'd use that ebay picture, get a piece of threaded rod just like that in the correct size and make it yourself.  It would cost about 2 dollars and just like if you decided to use the ford one, who would ever know?  Just an idea.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?