News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaf Spring question, 69 charger to 68 coronet

Started by 79JON, December 20, 2005, 07:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

79JON

Hey there,

Ive been posting some stuff on how to fix the sagging problem with my 68 coronet.  Most of yall have said replacing the leaf springs or getting them rearched.     Well,  I decided im gonna get them re-arched,  well  sorta....     My brother has a parts car 69 charger that has a 8 3/4 rear end with leaf springs.     My 68 Coronet has the same rear end,   8 3/4.    My question is    are the leaf springs the same between a 69 charger and 68 coronet with a  8 3/4 rear.   Are all B-Body rear ends pretty much the same??  I have to drive my 68 coronet daily and he told me he could just take the leaf springs off that 69 charger parts car and get them re-arched while I can still drive my car.   Then we spend a weekend changing it out.    Thanks

purple70rt

is_it_EVER_done?

They are the same as far as being able to bolt in, but the small block and 383 2 barrel cars used different spring packs with different spring rates compared to the HP cars. This isn't important unless your putting HD springs on a car that has standard torsion bars, or vice versa. If that is the case, you can get strange handling characteristics.

Also, check on the cost of re-arching springs before you commit. You will probably find that it is only a very few dollars more to buy new springs. Springs that are sagging really should be replaced as they are suffering from fatigue and decreased spring rate, which will continue even after they are re-arched. I had it done once, and bought new within a week of having it done due to the weird handling.

Chryco Psycho

if you swap or re -arc the springs recheck the pinion angle

Steve P.

Re-arching springs is both a science and an art. Most places that do this care less about neither. Go for the HP springs... :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida