News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New trunk seal problem

Started by flyinlow, May 13, 2009, 06:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

After painting i installed a new trunk seal on my 73. Now I can barely close the trunk . Had to adjust the latch to close . Will this seal compress soon?

Bob

Does it line up and flush all the way around?
Bob

Rallye

I have the same problem on my 72.  Just put on a new seal, trunk closes, but very tight and sitting a bit too high.  I've adjusted the latch to bring the lid as far down as it will go, but still sits too high.  I'm keeping the trunk closed for a few days to see if it will compress on its own.  If anyone has any other suggestions, please let us know... 
1972 Charger Rallye - 400magnum

Hemidog

let it sit in the sun with the lid closed for a while.

flyinlow

Yea , seal installed evenly . I will try setting in the sun, my kind of fix.

bordin34

I installed my, incorrect, seal over a year ago and it still hasn't compressed enough to line up the gaps. If you have the incorrect one it may take a long time to compress enough so there is no gap

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Bob

Quote from: flyinlow on May 14, 2009, 02:53:54 PM
Yea , seal installed evenly . I will try setting in the sun, my kind of fix.

I installed mine over a year ago and did not have any problem. It did shut a little tighter but when new it is suppose to shut a little tighter. It did not throw the alignment at all. Hmm. :scratchchin:

flyinlow

Went to the Chrysler classic spring event yeasterday. looked at 2 other 3rd gens. they sent the wrong seal. Too tall.

Rocpor was there and I talked to them abou the seal   They said they have used that seal with good results.

The seal that looks right and was on the 3rd gens I looked at was listed for E bodys.

I am going to cut the seal that is on there with a scalpal and see if I can make it work for now.  :brickwall:  I thought I was all set for an other 36 years.

mikepmcs

Quote from: flyinlow on May 16, 2009, 09:16:34 AM
  I thought I was all set for an other 36 years.

:lol:

I giggled a little.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Nacho-RT74

another solution, could it be bend down a little bit the lip where seal goes... I did it myself
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html