News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kind of tools you guy like

Started by gram101, April 09, 2009, 09:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcountry

Cut to size, Beat to fit, Paint to match.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Foreman72

i was looking at this kobalt set...150 piece kit...looks solid...i dunno...maybe i should drop the extra on a crafstman or chanellock kit...
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 09, 2009, 07:44:46 PM
I like Craftsman but i have other stuff in the tool chest ; KD, SK and my air ratchets/guns are Chicago Pneumatic.

I'm still using the same Craftsman timing light i bought 30 years ago as a 16 yr old kid and it works flawlessly.  :2thumbs:

Ron

i have a heathkit timing light my dad gave me  :smilielol:

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Foreman72

Quote from: WingCharger on April 13, 2009, 07:07:10 PM
Quote from: Foreman72 on April 13, 2009, 06:46:07 PM
i was looking at this kobalt set...150 piece kit...looks solid...i dunno...maybe i should drop the extra on a crafstman or chanellock kit...
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 09, 2009, 07:44:46 PM
I like Craftsman but i have other stuff in the tool chest ; KD, SK and my air ratchets/guns are Chicago Pneumatic.

I'm still using the same Craftsman timing light i bought 30 years ago as a 16 yr old kid and it works flawlessly.  :2thumbs:

Ron

i have a heathkit timing light my dad gave me  :smilielol:

I've heard that Kobalt stuff is okay, but you can't get the Lifetime Guarantee of Craftsman. :Twocents:
indeed...what to do w my $150 huh :icon_smile_big:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

mopar_nut_440_6

I can tell you what tool I want after the last week of fabricating using a angle grinder with cut off discs and other grinders!

A plasma cutter, now that is the cats a$$!! It probably would have saved me 15 hours!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69*F5*SE

Would LOVE to have a nice Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter. I just can't fork out the cash on something like that as of yet.

Rolling_Thunder

hmmmm     my buddy has a 100% duty cycle TIG    :icon_smile_big:   that thing can be fun...    make anything with it...

But honestly If money was no object I'd say a TIG welder, a Bandsaw, and a air compressor
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Bobs69

If you break a snap-on tool you wait for the truck to come along, possible have to send it out for repairs.  I have few snap on tools.  Mostly Mastercraft, I'll get somethings at Princess Auto if it's some job I'm doing once and figure I'm never doing again, chances are the tool will show the wear.  They are good with warrantys as far as I know.

What is it about Snap-on?  Do their wrenches and sockets fit the head of a bolt better or something?

Ghoste

As a matter of fact, yes.  I'm sure it isn't exclusive to them but if you pick up a Snap-On socket or wrench and pick up one from one of those "made in China"  sets that only cost 20 bucks for the whole thing and look at the way the angles are cut that grip the head of the bolt, you will see a big difference.  The thickness and quality of the steel, the quality of the finish.  The Snap-On ones are better in that regard than many of their competitors.  The balance of their tools, the way they fit in your hand, the action on the ratchets.
I have a lot of Mastercraft tools myself and they used to be junk but in recent years their more expensive line took a big leap in quality and bang for the buck.  But those are principally just around the house tools.  The stuff at work and as I can afford it, the stuff I use in the shop for the Charger are Snap-On. (A lot of Craftsman stuff in the Charger box too)

mopar_nut_440_6

I have Sanp ON wrenches and they have nice thin heads which can get in where others can't. On occasion they can be hard on the hands as they are quite thin. MAC also make very nice wrenches and the handles are a bit bigger which is nice. Snap On screwdrivers hold the tips very wekk due to then being hard but this can also cause them to break as they are a bit more brittle. Many electricians do not use Snap On due to this fact with Fuller seeming to be a good compromise.

The sockets again are nice due to the thin wall and being able to get in places where a less expensive one cannot due to wall thickness and they are also very strong. Eventually they all where especially in the 12 point design. At times some dealers willl not give you a new one as they say they are just worn ouyt but not broken. A way around this is to take a ball bearing a little larger than the socket and palce the ball in the socket and squeeze in a vice until they break. Works well and no problems with warranty then!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

riggs626

Well 90% of all my tools are craftsman The sockets Are just as good as the rest and the proffessional line of tools are great I agree that Their standard rachets suck but I do like their thin profile ones but all my rachets are snap-on or matco But another line of tools I like is Cornwell not too fond of the stuff that mac or matco puts out

GN

charger_cody

because of how poor i am, any tool is good for me.

CODY

Bobs69

I suppose if money was no issue I'd get all Snap-on likely.  If they have the thinist walls and best fit(grip).  I see they have opened ended wrenches that are flanked or something to help them grip better.  The better tools would help me get jobs done quicker and cleaner and therefore give me the confindence to tackle bigger jobs yet.