News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI 6-pack.........>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, November 15, 2005, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

I remember reading about something about this setup on MoParts ealier this year, but wanted to know if anyone here had any real world experience with it.

Here's the hardware:

And here's a link to maker's site:

http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/

Seems like it'd be t*ts.

I was thinking of going with fuel injection for the "69's stroker build, but didn't want to lose the 6-pack idea either.

This looks like it would fit both bills.

God know's it's gotta be $$$$$$$, but man, how sweet! :2thumbs:

Anyone here using it, or know more about it?

Maybe you know the brother of a neighbor who's uncle's ex-wife's friend dated someone who had one back in high school? :D

TIA

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Blown70

The ECU matters the most... Which program box are they using... FAST?

I do not see why it would not work and looks pretty cool too.

Tom

Johnny SixPack

I wish I could say, but they are pretty stingy with info on their website.   :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_question:

Tuning the whole deal from the passenger seat via laptop would be great too.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Blown70

As I look closer the injectors are in the manifold..> That will require a cam trigger..... at least from what I understand.  That is sequential... I think fast's xfi syxtem would work.  However the cam trigger would be the tough part.....  Someone really needs to know what they are doing.... :icon_smile_cool:

Tom

Chryco Psycho

there was also a system on a 70 Chall in th eDetriot area , I met a guy who worked at Ramchargers before they closed that wroked closely on that project .... sweet set up

Ghoste

That looks to be a pretty impressive setup if it works.  I think we're getting real close to having affordable high performance efi available to retrofit our cars.  I'll be interested to see what kind of power gains come.

BBMoparFreak

Why not get the manifold, and mounting/adapting hardware, and throttle bodies, then go with a Megasquirt setup?
When I was dreaming up plans for a turbo'd slant six pushing over 400 hp  :devil: I was planing on using a TB setup used from the late 80's GM engines, then using MegaSquirt for the computer part.  They said it should work no problem!

Michael

Johnny SixPack

Michael, do you have any more info on the Megasquirt system?

From what I'm finding, you have to have a EFI setup already installed.

F&B just supplys the intake, rails and throttle bodies.

I really would like to be able to tweak this combo via a laptop, for ease of use, and curious if the system you're talking about offers that feature.
Johnny's Herd:

BB1

What kind of air cleaner would fit it?
Delete my profile

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: cudahob3 on November 16, 2005, 12:49:20 PM
What kind of air cleaner would fit it?

I was wondering that last night, and from lookin' at it, I'm thinking the stock 6-pack air cleaner would fit.
Johnny's Herd:

Blown70

To me looks like they made it to handle a stock 6 pack air cleaner

Tom

BTW,  megasquirt has a fourm/ board you can post at.  www.megasquirt.com if i recall correctly

BBMoparFreak

Here you go! http://www.msefi.com/
They got a forum where you can post your questions.  Shoot an email to one of their techs if you can.  Very helpful dudes.  Good luck!

Michael

Blown70

Quote from: BBMoparFreak on November 16, 2005, 06:29:25 PM
Here you go! http://www.msefi.com/
They got a forum where you can post your questions.   Shoot an email to one of their techs if you can.   Very helpful dudes.   Good luck!

Michael

YES that is the site sorry mine was wrong...

Tom

defiance

I've got a megasquirt on my 72 - it ran great with throttle body 'til the holley injectors died, and it's being converted to port injection now

Not nearly as fancy, but I expect it'll run great :)

Anyway, MS doesn't need a stock FI system.   In fact, having installed a full holley pro-jection conversion kit and the MS, I'd say the MS is only a little bit more complex (because you have to find parts), but about a thousand times better documented, and boundlessly more versatile.  

Just as an example - to put together a 6-pack MS injector setup, you'd need

-6-pack manifold (need it either way)
-3 2bbl carbs to use for throttle bodies (need it either way)

-8 injectors (around 300)
-fuel rail stock (probably 100)
-regulator ( around 150)
-fuel pump (I recommend an OEM ford from an econoline van, 95psi, nice flow rate   < 100 )
-aluminum fuel lines ( < 100)
-sensors (temp, air temp, TPS, etc) - (<100 for all)
-Megasquirt (around 250 for the latest/greatest; MS-2 with a 3rd revision board)

So, you're looking at adding around 1200 in parts to what you would need otherwise for a 6-pack.   Plus- to add ignition timing control as well, you'd need

-'lockable' electronic ignition distributor (modify stock, or buy a nice one like the MSD) - around $250 worst case

So, 1200 to 1500 for ms port injection on a 6-pack, assuming you have manifold and carbs.   The only real trouble with the install is that you're going to have to have the holes ported into the manifold and fuel rails.   I just had that done myself, and that portion of my shop bill was around $250.   ew, man, I just realized, they charged me 250 for fuel rails??? and another $250 for "misc AN fittings and stainless hose????   egh.   I shoulda looked over that invoice better...

Oh, as a note - yes, you can tune from a laptop real-time, while driving down the road... er... hopefully a FREIND can tune it while you drive down the road, or vice versa; tuning & driving might be a touch tricky :)   I really love their tuning program, too; it allows real-time tuning or logging, so you can look over your log later and see possible problem areas.
Also, you can run it closed loop (you tell it how much fuel to put in at what rpm/vacuum/etc and it does it), or you can run open loop with an oxygen sensor - which, btw, surprised the crap out of me how cheap it was.   You can get a bosch sensor from auto zone for less thant 20, my local muffler shop installed the bung for 25, and the one wire hooked right up to MS's input.