News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How is the fusible link wired into the dash harness?

Started by WH23G3G, April 05, 2009, 11:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

This is a question in general about fusible links. It's on a 65 Plymouth Valiant. I've posted on several A-body forums but I guess not many people have or are messing with 65 Valiants. But on this one I have it appears at some point the Ammeter melted maybe from an overcharge? The back of the instrument housing where the ammeter mounts was melted but I tested the gauge and it still works but I don't know how well. I'm looking for an NOS one or good used one in the meantime. I've now removed the entire underdash harness and engine/forward light harness. The engine and forward light harness was simple on this. The underdash harness is far less confusing than on my 73 Charger  but there's some problems with where a fusible link should be. I have the 65 Valiant wiring diagrams but it's two pages and too large to post here. In the diagram it appears to go straight from the starter relay stud and then into a connector to the red wire that connects to the positive post on the ammeter. How does that work? The red wire going to the ammeter is wrapped in the dash harness and doesn't have an exposed connector through the firewall. The same is true with the black wire on the ammeter. It's made into the harness and there is no exposed connector that goes through the firewall to plug into for the alternator. So if I can figure this out and figure out how to splice in the OEM radio I'll be set. That's another deal the connector for the radio isn't made into this harness like on my Charger. You have to add your own. Like I said I get very minimal help from the A-body forums but still I get some good info from them. But this hasn't generated any replies on either of the A-body forums I've tried so any help you guys can offer would be great. I can provide the JPG wiring diagrams for this vehicle, but they won't post because of size here, plus there's two of them.

71_deputy

WH- all my 64 diagrams show no fuseable link at all for the cars- in 65 they started to use them- inserted from the wire that goes to the firewall connector. add one like the 60's did off the starter terminal that feeds the red wire to the firewall.

for the radio- use the radio fuse- they show a wire coming out of the fuse block and then to a connector I bet!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van