News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake pedal to the floor

Started by Bossman963, April 03, 2009, 12:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossman963

Hi Guys & gals Ok have a problem and I have a 68 Charger that has a 440 in it and this car has been sitting since 1980 & all original- so my problem is this and its in 2 parts.

#1.- I replaced the master cylinder- bench bleed it and installed it on the original booster. I also replaced the rear wheel cylinders that were pretty nasty .
The brake pedal stays about 2" off the floor board, dash light say system failure, I didnt replace the front wheel cylinder because I going to convert it over to disk brakes.
What would keep the pedal @ the floor & I dont or cant fluid to the new rear wheel cylinders- could it be the proportioning valve went bad - can they be rebuilt.

#2- should I install a new dual type booster ? instead of the original single booster and will it hurt  or is there a difference in disk or drum master cylinder ? Will it hurt if I use a disk/drum porportioning valve ?

thx in advance Mike
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

y3chargerrt

Have you checked the front wheel cylinders? Sound like they are shot as well. What about the rubber brake hoses? Sounds like its time for that disk brake kit.