News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Optional REAR SEAT shoulder belts on 68-70 Chargers....Would you believe it?

Started by TUFCAT, March 31, 2009, 01:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

I never knew there was such a thing - until now.

I was searching for parts, and found this on Detroit Craigslist (and its not mine).

http://detroit.craigslist.org/pts/1095933802.html

The guy claims "these are ULTRA RARE" - and there's no doubt in my mind!!! I've never heard of such an animal on 68-70 Chargers (or any b-body for that matter).

His ad reads:

"If you look in the back of old vintage sales brochures, you will see it listed for 1968 1969 and 1970 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dodge Charger Coronet Super Bee and R/T. If you have an original rear package shelf, the cutouts are under there, waiting to be punched out"

Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot ....but I hope somebody can validate if this existed as a factory installed option?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

WOW.  Thanks for the link Twenty.....I guess you proved it!  :2thumbs:

It's strange because the majority didn't use lap belts back in 1968! :eek2:  Rear lap belt usage was probably much worse. :eek2:

I can imagine some "so called experts" seeing this for the first time..... saying "it's wrong"! :scratchchin: 

I'm always learning new stuff..... (like the correct sunvisor colors for example) "wink" :icon_smile_wink:

GreenMachine

I remember reading a thread about rear shoulder belts on this site. If I remember correctly, a member has them installed on his car with pics.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Troy

Kevin (dkn1997) has them installed in his I believe (although not original). I remember seeing them on a car at Carlisle last year too. They are very rare.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TUFCAT

Chrysler was always way ahead of the game..... This is a funny bit of history (30 years later!)

1988 - A House subcommittee holds a hearing into the failure of NHTSA and domestic auto companies to provide lap-shoulder belts in the rear seats of automobiles. The hearing transcript provides an extensive record of data provided by the companies, NHTSA, safety advocates, and others.

Subcommittee members are critical of government delay with companies providing rear lap-shoulder belt systems. The subcommittee chair points out cars manufactured since 1973 have been required to be equipped with anchorage points for fitting rear shoulder belts, but they "do not require manufacturers to provide nor install such shoulder straps".

1989 -  NHTSA requires that all rear window-side seats in new passenger vehicles be equipped with lap/shoulder belts. At this point, 23 percent of new passenger cars, along with 51 percent of new vans and light trucks (SUVs and pickups), are equipped with lap belts for use by rear center seat passengers.

2003 - On August 6, 2003, acting under a Congressional mandate known as Anton's Law, NHTSA publishes a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking which (1) recounts the history of the agency's actions concerning rear-seat lap-shoulder belts, and (2), proposes to require rear center position lap-shoulder belts in all cars. This rule will be phased in by manufacturers, with half of model year 2006 passenger vehicles offering the lap/shoulder safety belts; increasing to 80 percent of vehicles in model year 2007 and 100 percent in model year 2008.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Troy on March 31, 2009, 02:36:54 PM
I remember seeing them on a car at Carlisle last year too. They are very rare.

Troy

Yep they were on this loverly 68....optioned with ONE drivers side only headrest as well

Took these at the '07 Carlisle show.  Interesting that there is no retractor for the shoulder part....just a metal "dumbweight" stitched into the belt.  Looks like there was no colors avail when you got this option as well....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 31, 2009, 03:15:55 PM

Troy

Yep they were on this loverly 68....optioned with ONE drivers side only headrest as well

Took these at the '07 Carlisle show.  Interesting that there is no retractor for the shoulder part....just a metal "dumbweight" stitched into the belt.  Looks like there was no colors avail when you got this option as well....

Is that a one size fits all then?  The shoulder belt pull out till the dumb weight hits the package tray.?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 31, 2009, 03:27:00 PM
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 31, 2009, 03:15:55 PM

Troy

Is that a one size fits all then?  The shoulder belt pull out till the dumb weight hits the package tray.?
The lower part is adjustable.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TUFCAT

The [poster] sign next to the car says "rare" - and it really is!  I was at Carlisle for 2007, and certainly remember this Gold Charger! 

I tend to gravitate to the non popular color combos.  I loved the car for being gold with rare gold interior!!! Plus it wore whitewalls and wheelcovers which was great since the owner resisted the popular urge to install redlines and road wheels.  Obviously, I never noticed the rear seat belts -  or I would have been AMAZED! 

69*F5*SE

Wonder if anyone from the site will splurge and pick them up?     :popcrn:

Daytona R/T SE

Several years ago I knew a guy with a '70 Charger that had the back seat shoulder belts...

472 R/T SE

The craigslist ad seat buckles look like the upgraded buckles.  I wonder if that was standard for the rear shoulder belts, "the upgrade"?

Is that gold '68 the car with only one headrest too, or is that a different one?

High Impact

I bought a 68 Sport-Fury back in 1990 which was loaded with options.  It too had the rear over the shoulder belts which I knew was kinda weird.     They look just like the ones in that Charger except that I think they were ment to hang down the back of the seat not down in the trunk.  That dumb bell thing will slide out.   

I took mine out because when the quarter window was down and I was cruising down the road the dang belt would be flying around in the back and once it hit my back window SO HARD  I thought it broke.  Thats when I took mine out, and if I looked I bet there still at my parents house in a box up in the garage :scratchchin:.

TUFCAT

Quote from: High Impact on April 01, 2009, 08:35:41 AM
......I bet there still at my parents house in a box up in the garage :scratchchin:.

You better take a look - - it could be worth $495 for your efforts!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 31, 2009, 09:56:18 PM
The craigslist ad seat buckles look like the upgraded buckles.  I wonder if that was standard for the rear shoulder belts, "the upgrade"?

Is that gold '68 the car with only one headrest too, or is that a different one?

Yup, same one Mike...maybe you should actually READ my post instead of looking at all the nice pictures....

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

472 R/T SE

I thought "no way", how did I miss that.  Until I read your post and found out I did just that.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Strange that it was ordered up with stuff but yet opted for no pass. head rest?

moparstuart

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 01, 2009, 03:47:40 PM
I thought "no way", how did I miss that.  Until I read your post and found out I did just that.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Strange that it was ordered up with stuff but yet opted for no pass. head rest?
there is a loaded up 68 GTX running around he in Kc area that was opted for just the driverside head rest ?  :shruggy: :shruggy:   very cool but very strange

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bullit68

there is a 68 charger rt near me that has the factory installed rear shoulder belt option.very unusual to see.btw back in 89-91 i had a 68 coronet rt,black with red interior,bought off of the original owner and it was optioned with one pass. side headrest .on the build sheet it said in large crayon writing"headrest-1".neat.

472 R/T SE