News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would it take??

Started by mauve66, March 23, 2009, 11:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vote for top 6 options you think it would take to accept it

full length tail light
full length console
hide-away headlights
door scallops
flip top fuel cap
vinyl top
turn signals in hood
68 style tail lights
69-70 style tail lights
71-74 style tail lights
2 door only
convertible
no convertible
manual trans option with all motors
radio/heater delete

plum500

That recessed window is bad for aerodynamics (isn't it?), besides, I think this design is too short to do anything but let it flow back with the rest of the car.

:Twocents:

I think the back pillar kicks ass  :D

dodgecharger-fan

Blakcharger440

Looks good, but I would change the tail lights to look like the 1970 Charger ones as they look more updated.

TheGhost

For alot of people, it would take an exact replica of a 69 Charger.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Tilar

Get rid of the bug catcher, Lower the profile of the rear quarters where they're not so round on the top, Inset the rear window just a little more at the bottom or extend the sail panels another inch or two.  And get rid of those front and rear bumpers.  They look like road barricades. All cars seem to have them nowadays and they look like crap. Nobody seems to put any style into cars anymore. It's all plastic and rubber. Oh, And put some chrome on it. 

Old fogie rant /off  :lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bull

Where's the "scrap it and start over" option?

You know what's so completely remarkable about this car, especially considering the pictures at the beginning of this thread? The sheer magnitude of energy, time and money that's been dedicated to the hope and effort that it would somehow live up to its name. I can't think of a longer-running discussion over the disappointment of a car than this one. It's been four years at least since it was reintroduced, not counting the initial design releases, and people are still spending gobs of money to make it look like a Charger and still arguing about the legacy it ignored as a representative of its predecessor. Cripes, even the Cordoba and Omni Chargers are now welcomed into the clique because of it where before they were looked down upon. At least I don't recall them being given much attention at all prior to 2006.

But to answer the question, it would take a complete redesign akin to the treatment given the Challenger for me to accept it. That or drop it completely and/or rename it. The pics of it in this thread only confirm that and I think it's a pretty good effort overall. That said, now that the Challenger is here I think many people have turned their attention to it and given up on the possibility that the new "Charger" will ever really be a Charger.

Khyron

I want an omni charger now :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

moparstuart

Quote from: Khyron on March 25, 2009, 09:47:21 AM
I want an omni charger now :D
I got just the car you need   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

Quote from: bull on March 25, 2009, 05:19:51 AM
You know what's so completely remarkable about this car, especially considering the pictures at the beginning of this thread? The sheer magnitude of energy, time and money that's been dedicated to the hope and effort that it would somehow live up to its name. I can't think of a longer-running discussion over the disappointment of a car than this one. It's been four years at least since it was reintroduced, not counting the initial design releases, and people are still spending gobs of money to make it look like a Charger and still arguing about the legacy it ignored as a representative of its predecessor.

That is perhaps the most astute observation I've seen or heard on the whole issue.  As much as I agree with you though, I can't help but wonder how large is the group expending all of this time and effort.  Obviously a lot of people here and several in the Mopar enthusiast sect, but overall are the car enthusiasts wondering what the fuss is about?  Is there a change in "getting it" as you move from say, classic Charger fan to Mopar fan to musclecar fan to sporty car fan to general automotive fan to public at large?

BLUE68RT4ME

Wow, it's 2009.  The Gen II Charger weighed what... 4200 lbs?  It had more sheet metal in it than 10 cars these days.  Times are different, and the cars have to be too.  I think it's great that Chrysler has been doing the retro thing, and they've definitely done the best job.  The last Mustang was great too but Chevy's way off the mark I think... certainly in getting one to market.

Anyway, I didn't know what to think of the Charger when it first came out, nor did I the 300, but now I see them and I like them a lot.  Color combo's and upgrades really changed the Charger.  I see a Daytona or SRT-8, especially the Super Bee and I am like WOW!  :ricky:

This one looks to me to be a blend of sorts, the Gen II scallops in the doors, 68 tail lights, 69 side markers, 68 or 70 grill, and a 71 top (i.e.  rear seat window).  It certainly isn't an exact replica of any in particular but then how many people would be upset that remanufacturing it like the old ones would lower the value of the old ones, or whatever.  Someone would be upset.   :RantExplode:

Being a kid when the 80's and 90's Chargers were out, I still thought they were cool.  Why, because of what the name of it said.  Buying one is always a tribute to what made the name so great, the first 3 Gen's (but especially Gen II).  But those cars (80's and 90's) meant more to the generation that came into driving then than the other generations because that was their time.  Same can be said with this one.  The generation now is going to grow up with this - and the current Charger - and that's going to represent their glory days.  All the while, these owners know that by owning one they are paying homage to the originals.

I think this is a good start.  Colors may change the look of this dramatically.  Seeing them in person always changes things too.  I like it, and if I were in the market, I would probably buy it, or the current one for that matter.

Well, that's my  :Twocents:    Peace out!   :2thumbs:

Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

69charger2002

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on March 25, 2009, 11:18:54 AM
 All the while, these owners know that by owning one they are paying homage to the originals.

man i was with you there until i got to this statement. that was a joke right? i think less than 10% of people that own one of these new ones know they are paying "homage" to the original. most i pass in my 69's and 70's don't even look over.. they are clueless(cue in the GLOBS of soccer moms/old people driving them). hell even the majority of salesmen at the dealerships don't see the correlation(meaning recognize that the original is even a charger).. the 10% i am referring to mainly applies to mopar guys, or car guys in general, and those MAINLY consist of the Super bees, srt-8's, daytona's etc.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

BLUE68RT4ME

Well, ok... I should have said the people that are enthusiastic about them are paying homage, and that would probably be the Daytona and SRT-8 owners, and some of the R/T's.  I shouldn't have made quite the sweeping generalization.   :slap:

I think we can all agree, the SXT is bought for reasons of economics and not for nostalgia!   ;)

Thanks for keeping me on mark!   :2thumbs:

By the way, I meant to ask... is your back yard heaven??? 
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Ghoste

Given that, what is the percentage of units sold comprised of SRT's?

BLUE68RT4ME

I don't know... but the basic version to me is the equivalent to the K-car in its day... it's just something put out to get people from A-B.  They need to make those too.  Which, I do understand can diminish it's glory.  Believe me, I do.   :icon_smile_blackeye:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

69charger2002

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on March 25, 2009, 12:14:47 PM
Well, ok... I should have said the people that are enthusiastic about them are paying homage, and that would probably be the Daytona and SRT-8 owners, and some of the R/T's.  I shouldn't have made quite the sweeping generalization.   :slap:

I think we can all agree, the SXT is bought for reasons of economics and not for nostalgia!   ;)

Thanks for keeping me on mark!   :2thumbs:

By the way, I meant to ask... is your back yard heaven??? 

lol that backyard is now a distant memory. i have 8 chargers now when we moved 2 years ago i sold off a  lot of those junkers and parts cars to pay for property, more property, a few nice chargers, etc. there was no need for one person to have 38 chargers in his yard at one time. but in 05-06 i just kept finding deal after deal. i couldn't help myself!! lol ghoste, from what i have SEEN, based on # of 6 cylinder and R/T cars out there, i am betting SRT production makes up less than 5% of total charger production. i'm sure sales figures are out there somewhere with way more expertise/facts than me
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Ghoste

And you know what, the sales figure we'll never know is this one; how many SRT Chargers would they have sold if the Challenger had been available from day one?

Brock Samson

I'm just finding this thread...
Let's see.  It looks to ba Hard Top.. is that right?..
If so - very cool,.. my biggest beef with all the modern american supposedly sporty cars is they don't make a hard top any more...
I think based on these thwo pictures that this is the best modded LX so far, though the surface detailing and lack of shiney chrome/stainless trim in critical areas makes it look like a full size clay.
I give it an A for effort and a B for design and a C for detailing.
Thanks for posting those pictures out, i wonder if it's finished yet?..
I'm glad this post hasn't turned into another LX Enforcer bash fest...  :P

BLUE68RT4ME

Well, even so... I have a backyard and it has... a shed!  ...for my PUSH MOWER!    :smilielol:

I used to date a girl from Lake Charles.  Was never excited about Louisiana but things would have been different had I a view over your fence!   :drool5:

That's quite the accomplishment!

Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Well, even so... I have a backyard and it has... a shed!  ...for my PUSH MOWER!    :smilielol:

I used to date a girl from Lake Charles.  Was never excited about Louisiana but things would have been different had I a view over your fence!   :drool5:

That's quite the accomplishment!
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on March 25, 2009, 12:57:00 PM

lol that backyard is now a distant memory. i have 8 chargers now when we moved 2 years ago i sold off a  lot of those junkers and parts cars to pay for property, more property, a few nice chargers, etc. there was no need for one person to have 38 chargers in his yard at one time. but in 05-06 i just kept finding deal after deal. i couldn't help myself!! lol ghoste, from what i have SEEN, based on # of 6 cylinder and R/T cars out there, i am betting SRT production makes up less than 5% of total charger production. i'm sure sales figures are out there somewhere with way more expertise/facts than me
trav

Well, even so... I have a backyard and it has... a shed!  ...for my PUSH MOWER!   

I used to date a girl from Lake Charles.  Was never excited about Louisiana but things would have been different had I a view over your fence!  

(Excuse the error, I'm still a rookie here!)
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Troy

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on March 25, 2009, 11:18:54 AM
Wow, it's 2009.  The Gen II Charger weighed what... 4200 lbs?  It had more sheet metal in it than 10 cars these days.
Not sure what to make of this statement. Are you saying the old cars were heavy? For comparison, the "new" Charger hemi weighs over 4,000 lbs (Super Bee near 4,200) the last time I checked. A 2nd gen Hemi car might have been that heavy but most others were 3,400-4,000. My 1970 Challenger says 3,260 on the sticker.

References:
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Dodge-Charger-2009/available-trims
http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/gallery/roadtest

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BLUE68RT4ME

Between the two sentences, my point is that it was about 4200 lbs of metal.  No matter what the new ones weigh, they're certainly not all metal like they used to be  (pointing out a difference which was establishing my point of how things are done differently between now and then, that's all).   :rotz:

Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on March 25, 2009, 11:11:08 AM
Quote from: bull on March 25, 2009, 05:19:51 AM
You know what's so completely remarkable about this car, especially considering the pictures at the beginning of this thread? The sheer magnitude of energy, time and money that's been dedicated to the hope and effort that it would somehow live up to its name. I can't think of a longer-running discussion over the disappointment of a car than this one. It's been four years at least since it was reintroduced, not counting the initial design releases, and people are still spending gobs of money to make it look like a Charger and still arguing about the legacy it ignored as a representative of its predecessor.

That is perhaps the most astute observation I've seen or heard on the whole issue.  As much as I agree with you though, I can't help but wonder how large is the group expending all of this time and effort.  Obviously a lot of people here and several in the Mopar enthusiast sect, but overall are the car enthusiasts wondering what the fuss is about?  Is there a change in "getting it" as you move from say, classic Charger fan to Mopar fan to musclecar fan to sporty car fan to general automotive fan to public at large?

I heard a lot of discussion about it among my non-Mopar friends and coworkers when it first came out until about two years ago. I think the non-Mopar car enthusiasts understood our pain but dropped it sooner than we did because they had their own disappointments (GTO, etc.) Beyond that though the new "Charger" topic is pretty limited to what I see here and among my Mopar friends elsewhere. The funny thing is there was never much excitement about the '06 Charger by anyone I know. Even Mopar guys who buy them typically say they need a family car ro something for work. But when the Challenger was reintroduced all the car enthusiasts I knew, be they Mopar, Ford or Chevy, got very excited. My brother-in-law, who's owned nothing but Fords his whole life, couldn't stop talking about it and wants to buy one. A Chevy guy I work with still comes to  my toolbox probably three times a week to talk about the new Challenger. The only time my Chevy and Ford buddies ever talked to me about the new "Charger" it was either to needle me about it or to compare it to one of the other screw ups committed by the Big Three. A few people who know I own a '68 Charger and are oblivious to the controversy will ask me what I think of "the new Charger" and I will tell them but there has never been any excitement anywhere near the level I've seen for the Challenger... anywhere.

Ghoste

Come to think of it, I've had similar experiences with needling about one and excitement for the other.  (and the needle comes with an extra pair of doors)