News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Rotor Bearing Races

Started by Atomic440, March 24, 2009, 06:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atomic440

Any tips on removing & replacing the races on both wheel bearings on the front rotors? (1970 Charger)
Rotors are a few years old, but have probably less than 1,000 miles on them.  At the time I purchased new rotors and wheel bearings.  The rotors had the races already pressed in of course, so just installed the bearings.  Am in the middle of a front end rebuild, and I evidently did not adjust the spindle nut correctly or something, as the bearings are severely pitted, the grease  burnt.  I want to replace the bearings and races, and am looking for advice on how to remove the races...

Thanks in advance!!
1970 Dodge Charger 500 - 440 AT

71charger_fan

I've always just tapped them out from the back side with a long punch, working my way around the perimeter of the race.

terrible one

Quote from: 71charger_fan on March 25, 2009, 02:22:37 PM
I've always just tapped them out from the back side with a long punch, working my way around the perimeter of the race.

:yesnod: Yep that's my usual method as well. You can also find a socket roughly the same diameter as the race and just give it a good wack or two with a hammer. That's sometimes easier than using the punch.

Atomic440

Thanks guys, that did the trick, easier than I expected!  Before your reply I was able to use a press at work to get the outer bearing race out, but was stuck trying to figure out how to press out the inner one.  Found a punch and got 'er done!
1970 Dodge Charger 500 - 440 AT