News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 block

Started by CharcoalCharger, February 25, 2009, 04:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharcoalCharger

I recently saw a '72 340 block go for almost $600 on ebay.  Now I know it is ebay, but what are people paying for a good, unmolested block from 68-70?  Usually items from those years are a little more pricey.   I saw an ad in the local paper about 8 years ago where someone was selling 2 good 340s for $600.  My how times have changed and the prices have gone up. :faint:

Troy

Yep, 340s tend to be expensive (I need one so I've been looking). A 360 can be built for less and have more power - especially if you go with a newer Magnum engine. I bought a complete 2002 5.9 with 30k miles for about $1,000. The last "complete" 340 I was interested in would have cost slightly more and required a rebuild. Unless you really need a 340 to be "stock" I'd leave them to the resto crowd.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

CharcoalCharger

That is what I was figuring.  If someone wanted a correct dated one for their '70 Challenger/'Cuda then it would obviously fetch more money.  I would think that someone with a '72 Dart that originally had a 340 couldn't care as much and would probably go with a BB anyway.   :shruggy: 

Mike DC

There's a great repro of the 340 (iron) block out now. 

But they added so much meat to the important areas that it ended up practically as heavy as big-block.  IMHO that cancels out most of the reason to want a hot SB motor in the first place.