News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another new Charger?

Started by Tilar, February 05, 2009, 04:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

No, I don't have pics, but I was just down at the local Dodge dealer. I know most of the guys there.  One of the guys in the service department is into old mopars and so is the guy that owns the dealership. He has a 68 RoadRunner in one building that still has a sticker in the window. It may be a reproduction sticker. I'm not sure since he won't let anyone in the building, but he does uncover them sometimes and you can see in the windows. He also has an old Duster, a mid 60's Barracuda and an old Dodge that is probably from the 40's.

Anyway, The guy that owns the dealership said that they sent the Charger back to the drawing board, and will unveil a new one that resembles the older generation Charger. He wouldn't tell me which generation. I figure if it's true that it would be a 2nd or 3rd Gen.  It may be all BS, but I figured I'd pass it on and see if anyone else has heard anything.  :shruggy:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Mopar2Ya

I haven't seen any sneak pics yet, but the LX over haul is due ~2011. It will end the normal 5yr run of the current body 2005-2010. The same run as the WK. I hope they greatly improve the Charger, but don't mess up the 300. The SRT's need more hp's to compete, & w/o a higher price tag. :Twocents:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Ghoste

There have been allusions to it having some retro styling to it but people in the know have also assured everyone that it is still going to be a four door family car so if anyone is having fantasies about buying a new Charger in 2011 that looks as close to a 68-70 as the current Challenger does to it's predecessor I think you will be in for a letdown.
On the other hand, if they get rid of the catfish mouth grille and that ugly bodyline in the side profile I can live with four doors myself.

500hp_440

If they scrap the name and become creative instead of grave diggers, I would maby consider it a nice car, but they named it after the best and came out with the mediocker (wrong I know) mee-dee-Oker (help any?)
Thats my rant on there lack-o-sense
I haven't heard anything but next time I'm at the dealership I'll ask
Let it alone^.

Silver R/T

With todays economy how are they able to have funding to redesign anything. They can't even sell whatever they have on the lots.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

skip68

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 07, 2009, 01:07:35 AM
With todays economy how are they able to have funding to redesign anything. They can't even sell whatever they have on the lots.

:iagree: :iagree: I really liked the new Challey, but the Charger just was wrong.  :Twocents: :rotz: I hope they can improve the design.

Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for all the car makers right now.

NMike

if they are even going to be around 2010..........

FastbackJon

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on February 05, 2009, 06:20:22 PM
I haven't seen any sneak pics yet, but the LX over haul is due ~2011. It will end the normal 5yr run of the current body 2005-2010. The same run as the WK. I hope they greatly improve the Charger, but don't mess up the 300. The SRT's need more hp's to compete, & w/o a higher price tag. :Twocents:

2005-2010 is six model years...

What's with keeping a body style around that long anyway?? LAME!
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Ghoste

Lame it may be but I think it is driven solely by economics.  The cost to bring a car to market nowadays is huge and has to be leveraged out over a time period determined by units sold to make it worthwhile.  Basic marketing and production and I'm sure you already know it but...
I'm sure if there was a profitable way to do it, they would happily change the whole car each year if they thought it would give them a leg up on the competition.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on February 06, 2009, 12:51:13 PM
... if they get rid of the catfish mouth grille and that ugly bodyline in the side profile...

Get rid of that and there's nothing left.

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: FastbackJon on February 07, 2009, 03:26:08 AM

I'm sorry my math was off. 2010 maybe the new body style, no real word yet. What Ghoste said, & there is one good reason for a 5 yr run. That it doesn't force (not literally) a buyer to buy before they are financially ready. At least that's why I wouldn't like a complete rebody in less than 5 yrs(unless the current one was a huge flop, ????). Most are updated a bit every yr or 2. I really luv the huge depreciation my vehicle is taking, lesson learned. 

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

moparnole

Try this link, I doubt this will actually hit showroom floors, but who knows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJZFoQLtXpk

Silver R/T

Quote from: FastbackJon on February 07, 2009, 03:26:08 AM

It costs them way too much to make new tooling for new body style every year.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Dough88

I'm all for a new Dodge car with four doors styled similar to the new Charger.  For that matter, I really like the looks and performance (I don't know personally, but I've heard good things) of the new Charger.  It makes a cool cop car too.  But why didn't they come up with a new name for the thing instead of using the Charger name on a four door family sedan?  Hopefully if they come up with a new four door sedan they'll rename it (Polara anyone? any other suggestions?) and give us a Charger that fits the name a little better.  :Twocents:

Ghoste

It's an old story now, but basically the woman in charge of the marketing end of the new family four door sent focus groups out into the shopping malls of America to ask the people which car name they were shown on a list they most closely associated with Dodge.  Charger came up the winner in the poll with shoppers, soccer moms and teens skipping school for the day and voila!  A homerun was born, or at least in theory.

bull

If they just have to stay with four doors I hope they go back to something like the '99 design. It looks a lot more like a Charger than that two-headed armadillo they gave us in '06.

Big Lebowski

I'd like to see that, first lets see if Dodge is around in 2010.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Ghoste

:yesnod: That should be a bigger topic of concern than what the next Charger will look like.

Tilar

Quote from: moparnole on February 07, 2009, 01:51:27 PM
Try this link, I doubt this will actually hit showroom floors, but who knows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJZFoQLtXpk

I don't like the ass end.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

TheGhost

Quote from: bull on February 08, 2009, 12:22:27 AM
If they just have to stay with four doors I hope they go back to something like the '99 design. It looks a lot more like a Charger than that two-headed armadillo they gave us in '06.

The front end one this one is alot uglier than the current one.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.