News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb dries out

Started by flyinlow, February 01, 2009, 02:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

My Edelbrock carb dries out in about a week in the garage . Crank until the fuel pump refills then it starts and runs normal. Anyone else have this problem?

GreenMachine

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Todd Wilson

I have this problem more so with ethanol fuels. There has been times where something has sat 3-4 weeks or more and will not start. I can crank it for 15 miniutes and nothing. Splash a little gas down the carb with a gas can and it takes right off and it fine after that.

My old 47 Dodge truck I dont run ethanol gas in and it doesnt ever have this problem.

Todd

69chargerR/T

Quote from: flyinlow on February 01, 2009, 02:04:08 PM
My Edelbrock carb dries out in about a week in the garage . Crank until the fuel pump refills then it starts and runs normal. Anyone else have this problem?

Yup, I fixed the problem buy putting on a holley and never had the problem again :2thumbs:

resq302

I have that problem also.  I think it is that newer fuels evaporate a lot faster than the old stuff.  Im sure Ron can chime on on this as he is a wealth of info and has helped me out also.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

Pretty common with Carter style carbs and modern fuels so you'll have to learn to live with it.  The problem is lessened with a Holley but I still get it even with that.  Welcome to efi engineered fuels with different flash points than our cars were designed for, not to mention the oxygenation for emmissions and ethanol for green politics.

charger490

i had the same thing but now i just pump the gas pedal 15  times and it starts right up

flyinlow

o.k. I can live with it.

Surprised you can't smell the gas fumes .

An other reason to add an electric fuel pump.

superduperbee

Quote from: Ghoste on February 01, 2009, 06:27:18 PM
Pretty common with Carter style carbs and modern fuels so you'll have to learn to live with it.  The problem is lessened with a Holley but I still get it even with that.  Welcome to efi engineered fuels with different flash points than our cars were designed for, not to mention the oxygenation for emmissions and ethanol for green politics.

Yep, the oxygenated fuel evaporates at a faster rate. My Thermoquad dries out in 3 or 4 days if I don't start it. You could cover the vent tubes with vacume plugs when the car is parked, but that's a hassle too.

68beepbeep

Same problem here, It's definitely the fuels of this modern age.  Owned the same cars for ever and never had this problem 'till these new "chemical" fuels hit the public!!!   ~evaporation~ :eek2:

jerry

i have stock 69 1/2  6-bbl car and it has always been like this.was also thinking about putting a in line electric pump  somewhere just for starting purpose. is this possible?

Ghoste

It's absolutely possible and not uncommon at all.

firefighter3931

Quote from: jerry on February 07, 2009, 08:25:03 AM
i have stock 69 1/2  6-bbl car and it has always been like this.was also thinking about putting a in line electric pump  somewhere just for starting purpose. is this possible?

Jerry, the Mallory 110 pump would be perfect to run in tandem with the stock mechanical piece. You can simply use it to prime the fuel system and shut it off during normal operation....or leave it on for some high RPM fun.  :icon_smile_big:

I would mount it close to the tank....the shock crossmember is a good location. No regulator required either. The quietest and most reliable pump on the market.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jerry

thanks for the suggestion Ron. when i first bought the car in 1969 it was my every day driver and i never noticed this problem. as the years went by and i drove the car less [anything more then 5 days of sitting] then same problem as other guys on here. carbs have been rebuilt several times over the years and car runs very well ,always has.

y3chargerrt

I just started my Charger (Edelbrock 750) and drove it today after sitting since november. Pumped the peddle and cranked for maybe 20 seconds and it fired right up and idled.