News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TQ carb

Started by dkn1997, February 06, 2009, 12:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Can I run a TQ on my performer RPM manifold without an adapter? it has two sets of bolt holes in it, but is the spreadbore more than just the bolt holes?  I ask cause I'm interested in a tq, but I have zero hood clearance with this manifold as it is and I don't want to add an adapt in there too....I may have to put spacers under the K frame to lower the engine..
RECHRGED

Nacho-RT74

as far I know, you will need an adapter.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Rob R

Quote from: dkn1997 on February 06, 2009, 12:56:26 AM
I may have to put spacers under the K frame to lower the engine..

First you'll need an adapter with an RPM intake...I think the performer will let you run a TQ.
Now as far as putting a spacer in between the cross member and frame to lower the engine  :badidea: You have to modify the motor mounts themselves...blocks will cause a catastrophic suspension failure. :Twocents:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Rob R on February 06, 2009, 02:15:34 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on February 06, 2009, 12:56:26 AM
I may have to put spacers under the K frame to lower the engine..

First you'll need an adapter with an RPM intake...I think the performer will let you run a TQ.
Now as far as putting a spacer in between the cross member and frame to lower the engine  :badidea: You have to modify the motor mounts themselves...blocks will cause a catastrophic suspension failure. :Twocents:

not necessarily - alot of cars have lowered the K-member - look at hemi Darts...    with pulling the front wheels and hard landings nothing ever happened - but it is a bit unnerving i agree
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Rob R

Rolling...

Those are race cars not cars clucking around town putting a 1000 miles a summer on or more.
Every car that I've personally seen with blocks in the front suspension have suffered from torsion bar failure and rear torsion bar cross member problems plus suspension part issues...
But I have to admit I've only seen 4 cars in over 30 years with blocks...maybe our streets are just not as good as most...But it wouldn't be my first choice for correcting under hood clearance issues. :icon_smile_wink:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Rob R on February 06, 2009, 04:21:37 PM
Rolling...

Those are race cars not cars clucking around town putting a 1000 miles a summer on or more.
Every car that I've personally seen with blocks in the front suspension have suffered from torsion bar failure and rear torsion bar cross member problems plus suspension part issues...
But I have to admit I've only seen 4 cars in over 30 years with blocks...maybe our streets are just not as good as most...But it wouldn't be my first choice for correcting under hood clearance issues. :icon_smile_wink:

Point taken

Ghoste

Why not save yourself a LOT of headaches and just run a different carb?

dkn1997

I've always wanted to run a TQ. I have heard such good things about them and they are  cheap...even from demonsizzler completely rebuilt.

I am currently running a 750 mighty demon and it's a good carb, but I am never satisfied leaving things the way they are. 
RECHRGED

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rob R on February 06, 2009, 04:21:37 PM
Rolling...

Well, i know a few who've run the lowering blocks with zero issues. I've never even seen a snapped torsion bar allthough i've heard of it happening. As far as the accelerated steering component wear i'm skeptical. Bump steer actually improves with the blocks installed. I have absolutely no concerns running them in my car.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

A simpler way I was looking at might be to have a good welder build up the area around the secondarys and then open up the inlet as required. I was looking at that myself, but have not tried it yet. I bought the intake used so I would not be out that much.

Saw two Holley SD. intakes at swap meet last week under $100 each. TQ fits these and they are lower. Single plane though.

dkn1997

Quote from: flyinlow on February 06, 2009, 08:52:12 PM
A simpler way I was looking at might be to have a good welder build up the area around the secondarys and then open up the inlet as required. I was looking at that myself, but have not tried it yet. I bought the intake used so I would not be out that much.

Saw two Holley SD. intakes at swap meet last week under $100 each. TQ fits these and they are lower. Single plane though.

that thought had crossed my mind too.  but this is a pretty stock build and I don't know how she'd react to a single plane intake.
RECHRGED

Rolling_Thunder

why not get a stock TQ intake and port the hell out of it ?

dkn1997

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 07, 2009, 12:32:21 AM
why not get a stock TQ intake and port the hell out of it ?

I was hoping to just throw a carb on it!! lol hahahhaha..now i'm porting intakes!  maybe I'll end up compromising and get a weiand action plus or some other intake that's not quite as high as the RPM....or maybe I'll just find a way to make a TQ work with a performer rpm and the adaptor. 
RECHRGED

firefighter3931

Kevin, if you really want to use a thermoquad just buy a Holley Street Dominator intake manifold. The TQ will bolt right on and you will actually gain some hood clearance.  :yesnod:

It will loose a little torque down low but it will gain some top end power....small trade off.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs