News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ok, tell me whats incorrect with my trunk

Started by resq302, January 20, 2009, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Ok, I know this is an E body but there are a bunch of ya'll on here that have challys too.  (Mods, feel free to move this to the appropriate section if it is not placed correctly)  If you read my topic in the engine section about trying to get our chally back to the apperance of it just rolling off of the assembly line, this is pretty much the same idea, only now with the trunk space.  Below are pics of the trunk of our 70 chally vert. The quarter panels were replaced at some point and I am wondering if the E bodys got the undercoating sprayed on the inside trunk area of the quarter panels like my 69 charger did.  If there was, did they have some kind of template to block off areas such as the fuel fill or marker lights?  Does somebody have a pic of this?  The space saver spare tire is out of the trunk as well as the jack and assembly.  I know the spare rim is black and the bracket that holds the air cylinder to the spare is engine color blue.  The mast of the jack is the gold cad color with the actual jack mechanism being a dove gray with the same for the hook and the base.  Was the lug nut wrench semi flat black or was that also dove gray?  The car was built on 9/28/69 if it matters. 

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated and please rip the pics apart with what is incorrect.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

71ChallengeHer

The lug wrench, hook and base are semi flat black  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Looks like someone painted the filler tube cast gray?  :shruggy:
Should be natural, with a finish similar to the Charger filler tubes.

Also, are the plastic drain plugs in the floor missing? Do you have more pictures of the trunk area?

Yes, there should be sound deadener or undercoating on the inner 1/4's.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Bill,

Someone had sand blasted the filler tube which took all of the zinc/tin plating away.  That is a cold galvanized coating that was sprayed on.  The picture makes it look a lot darker on camera than it does in person.  Besides.... it used to be white just like the car.   :brickwall:  When I used paint stripper on it to take off the white paint, you could easily tell where someone had blasted it as it was rough.  Does anyone redo this type of plating or have a good original one with the lead coating on it still?

Yes, the drain plugs are missing.  Easy fix with a hole saw and plug kit. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

71ChallengeHer

Brian, I think you can still buy the filler tube. The body shop painted mine :brickwall:

resq302

Jackie, if it was just painted, you could easily strip the paint off of it with paint stripper.  The problem comes into when they sand blast the part and remove the tin/zinc coating.
Brian

resq302

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on January 20, 2009, 11:04:40 AM

Ok, when we got the car the jack hoist part was gray with the mast being the gold cad color.  The base seemed to be originally gray since it still had the decal on it as well as the hook appearing to be gray.  The only thing that seemed to be black was the lug wrench.  Maybe its cause it is such an early built car?
Brian

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: resq302 on January 20, 2009, 07:04:56 PM
Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on January 20, 2009, 11:04:40 AM

Ok, when we got the car the jack hoist part was gray with the mast being the gold cad color.  The base seemed to be originally gray since it still had the decal on it as well as the hook appearing to be gray.  The only thing that seemed to be black was the lug wrench.  Maybe its cause it is such an early built car?
Maybe Brian or because it's a 70  :shruggy:

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: resq302 on January 20, 2009, 07:02:44 PM
Jackie, if it was just painted, you could easily strip the paint off of it with paint stripper.  The problem comes into when they sand blast the part and remove the tin/zinc coating.
I know,I'm lazy

resq302

Well, Jackie..... after all, it is your car.  If you like it body color, then leave it.  Who am I to say what you should do to your car.   lol.   :slap:
Brian