News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

id's on the tranny?

Started by jar1292, January 21, 2009, 08:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jar1292

I have the tranny out of the car and I was wondering where do i look to see what it is? the car is a 1970 charger 500. original motor was the 318 but has had a 440 six pack dropped into it a few owners before I so I wouldn't know if they upgraded the tranny with the swap. any kind of info would be tons of help... the rear end has me puzzled to. it has a fairly new undercoating job and I don't wanna have to scrape off the entire thing to find any stamps or markings, if any? could some body give me a general idea of where to see what size it is? :smilie_help:
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

72SE

mikepmcs

Welcome aboard.  On the rear end housing, which one in the pic does it look like? We'll start there and move forward.  My guess is the 8-3/4 but you never know.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jar1292

oh my the internet is so great. thank you so much with this info I learned a heck of alot more than I would have B.S.ing at work! thanks again
now I can concentrate on the rear end...
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

jar1292

my rear end is gunna be the 8 3/4... thanks for the support. I'm stroking the engine to 540 and i figure that I will need to go all out beefin the tranny to make it bullet proof so 2 say but what would you suggest to the rear end. my machinist said just over 600 horses and about 550 torque that's just his guesstimates would anybody else say other wise. its getting indy ez -1 max wedge heads and intake not shure yet on my carb. ross pistons eagle rods and crank isky roller rocker cam hydraulic lifters everything else is still in the wood work and open to suggestions

mikepmcs

Probably want a dana 60 in the rear then. 8-3/4 with a 489 case might hold up.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

72SE

jar1292

how do you check to see if the case is the 985,489,741, or the 742 :shruggy:

mikepmcs

It will be written on the side of the case.  If that is covered to where you can't see the numbers on the case, then you're gonna have to scrape.  No reason for that thick of undercoat anyway.

72SE

Go with the Dana. Save yourself the possible headache later on. :Twocents: