News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pontiac is dead?

Started by TheGhost, February 17, 2009, 10:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

You're probably pretty spot on with that Mike.  Thank CAFE.

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: WingCharger on February 25, 2009, 06:09:50 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on February 25, 2009, 06:03:08 PM
Exactly.  All the while I have here sitting in front of me a Chrysler flyer from the newspaper talking about an electric Wrangler, Patriot, minivan, 200C and that Circuit sports car Lotus looking thing.  Nothing there to excite anybody is there?
:RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode:

Look at any issue of Car and Driver. They tested four door sedans. Hyundai, Ford, and Chevy. No Chrysler IN THE ENTIRE ISSUE! :RantExplode:
Looked at 3 other issues, same thing. Oh wait, one had a insulting column saying the Challenger handled like a boat. :rant:
I haven't paid attention to the auto mags in over 15yrs, they are a bunch of biased putz. The problem is there are a huge section of the gen population that have no auto knowledge & they turn to these idiots for help(Consumer Reports!!!). Like sheep walking off the cliff they do as they are instructed...... no emotion... no loyalty...   :eek2:

The modern vehicles do have to many nannies. My SRT8 pulls timing at the WOT shift to help save the driveline.  :shruggy:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Mike DC

QuoteYou're probably pretty spot on with that Mike.  Thank CAFE

Yeah, CAFE strikes again. 

But I'm fond of pointing out that we the public have always had another option besides huge CAFE increases - leave the cars & trucks' drivetrains alone, and significantly raise the price of gasoline with federal taxes to cope with it.  I don't see a whole lot of support for this idea.  (We seem to prefer piling the costs onto the price of buying/repairing/insuring the vehicles.  CAFE = higher priced & shittier vehicles.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteThe modern vehicles do have to many nannies. My SRT8 pulls timing at the WOT shift to help save the driveline. 

I think it's just the OEMs covering their own asses for warranty work. 

If Mopar coulda done that electronically in 1969, they probably wouldn't have stuck Dana 60s & torque boxes underneath all the 4spd R/Ts.

Ghoste

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 26, 2009, 02:50:57 AM

I think it's just the OEMs covering their own asses for warranty work. 

If Mopar coulda done that electronically in 1969, they probably wouldn't have stuck Dana 60s & torque boxes underneath all the 4spd R/Ts.

:lol: :smilielol: Oh yeah, you know it!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 25, 2009, 06:37:22 PM

I'm not sure anyone in the entire auto industry can build a decent strong auto trans anymore. 

They're so ape-shit about getting an extra 0.06 mpg out of the drivetrain that they forget to make them work right.  All their new trannys get 15 different gears and tiny little clutches & moving parts.

It also doesn't help that the diesel truck owners add computer chips, straight pipes & a list of other changes, in the quest of more power...but nobody changes a thing in the tranny. In all honesty, I think those tranny's do a damn good job of hanging in there, considering the huge amount of torque those engines put out these days.

But naturally when they do finally let loose, they get bashed as being a weak link. :rotz:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

You also see quite a few of the ones with smoked tranny's having a fifth wheel in the bed.  Too many folks buy a heavy duty truck to pull a big fifth wheel style load and then it's geared high to help with mileage.  No stress there. ::)

SeattleCharger

:2thumbs:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Mike DC

Our old T-flites were considered a high point in auto trannys for their time. 

The T-flites were also part of a drivetrain that lost maybe 20% of its net power by the time it reached the wheels.  I don't think that was a coincidence.