News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

66 Dodge Charger Engine Numbers

Started by kreiderm, December 22, 2008, 06:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreiderm

I have a 66 charger with a 318 poly.  I am trying to find out if it is matching numbers.  Where do I find the number on the engine, and then how to I compare to see if the numbers match? 

hemigeno

To my knowledge, the '66 model year did not have any identification numbers stamped on either the engine block or transmission.  The best you can do is to compare the casting and/or machining dates to the Scheduled Production Date of your car.  As a result, there really is no such thing as a "numbers matching engine" for a 1966 car such as yours.

Ghoste

And the sad reality is that for a 66 with a 318 poly, it isn't going to make a tremendous difference in value if it's the original engine to the car or not.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: hemigeno on December 22, 2008, 06:49:04 PM
To my knowledge, the '66 model year did not have any identification numbers stamped on either the engine block or transmission.  The best you can do is to compare the casting and/or machining dates to the Scheduled Production Date of your car.  As a result, there really is no such thing as a "numbers matching engine" for a 1966 car such as yours.

:iagree:

Date coding is about all you can do for pre-68 models.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

kreiderm

Thanks, where do I find the casting number on the engine, and what do I compare it to?

Ghoste

It will be on either side of the block in raised numerals.  It should precede the build date for the car.  Yo may also find an assembly date for the engine stamped on a machined pad on the front upper part of the block on the driver side.