News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Easy way to remove old stripes?

Started by AKcharger, December 20, 2008, 02:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Also I picked up an old Toyota 4 runner, paint and body is good, little faded but good. Can I just scuff the topcoat and shoot or do I NEED primer/sealer over it?

Thanks

mikepmcs

yes you can scuff and paint but why not try to buff the existing paint first.   :Twocents:

If you do decide to squirt it....scuff it real good with 320 and use a scuffy pad over it after.  Be careful with a DA and 320 on the long flat areas, you can create some waves real fast.  Make sure you get all the shiny spots.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

AKcharger

Quote from: mikepmcs on December 20, 2008, 06:00:40 AM
yes you can scuff and paint but why not try to buff the existing paint first.   :Twocents:

It's a metalic silver and the clear coat has worn down to the base coat...so it's dead. I was planning on using this as "training" for my next charger paint

Sublime/Sixpack

Forgot what its called but there is a product you can buy that aids in removing stripes.  I'd expect your local body and paint store to have it or be able to get it.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

AKcharger

hemi-hampton

If you dont have a heat gun A Hair dryer may help remove strips. LEON.

superbirdtom

hemi-hampton

How many people have easy access or use a eraser wheel? Probably not many unless you work in a body shop, The ones I use are only about 1 inch wide, do they come wider? These work good on small stripes but not sure about really wide or big ones? LEON.

superbirdtom

if you want to take off stripes without damaging the paint is the question. if you don't want to damage the paint you use a heat lamp ,the infrared ones about three feet long. put it about 16 inches away from stripe for 10 minutes. then it depends how thin and what condition the stripe is in. if the stripe was in ok condition you should be able to peel it off in sections as you move the light on then remove exess stickum with 3m adhesive remover. let panel cool down and spray on the adhesive remover and use a squegee to scrape off the goo. tape a piece of masking paper 1 inch below stripe so all goo and solvent go on the paper that drips down to not spread the mess around.

Now if the stripe is an old cracked mess there is a little more work. If the stripe was put on over a new paint job years ago ,sometimes the stripe adhesive actually bonds and makes a permanent impression into the paint. then hopefully after you do this process you can wetsand areas where stripe was and polish out.I do stripe removal almost every day of some sort. the eraser wheels can burn your paint if not careful. there are many variables to removing them. eraser wheels work best for small pinstripes on factory paint. theres also decal remover in a spray can but it can be strong. mask off the stripe from surrounding paint surfaces and hose stripe down ,some wrinkle up and then you pull off and dowse panel with water to stop the chemical from working anymore. it can act like a stripper and ruin paint depending on the paint job it has .sometimes there is no hope to save the paint under the stripe as it can fuse to paint and you will  have to actually shave it off with a razor blade like a run in a clearcoat , i also run into this one time a month at least. hope this helps    sbt

hemi-hampton

If you put a razor blade at the right angle you can remove a entire pinstripe with one swoop. I do it all the time. LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 23, 2008, 06:42:43 PM
If you put a razor blade at the right angle you can remove a entire pinstripe with one swoop. I do it all the time. LEON.

:iagree:  I also do that, the heat gun method and the eraser wheel on a Wurth master tool.

BUT , the razor blade method is not for an inexperienced novice to try. Unless you are planning to strip the vehicle, as it will likely end up gouged. It also can be dangerous and you could end up bleeding. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

tan top

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 23, 2008, 06:52:34 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 23, 2008, 06:42:43 PM

:iagree:  I also do that, the heat gun method and the eraser wheel on a Wurth master tool.

BUT , the razor blade method is not for an inexperienced novice to try. Unless you are planning to strip the vehicle, as it will likely end up gouged. It also can be dangerous and you could end up bleeding. :Twocents:

:yesnod: :yesnod:

always use a combination of heat gun ... degreaser , edge of a new bondo spreader  :yesnod: ... wurth eraser  ( toffee) wheel is good also ..but i use that mainly removing suck on  moulding ... double sided tape   :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

superbirdtom

yes yes many different ways dependin on stripe conditions configurtions age etc etc , but the basic side by side 1/8 x1/16 basic pinstripe tape if you do take it off in a single swipe by angling it , to make it even safer before you do it use the single edge blade to clean a woolpad on your buffer with coarse compound on both outside edges it rounds them and just leaves the middle of the blade sharp, so if you slip the razor blade will not gouge paint.

AKcharger

Well stripes are old/dead as well. Not worried about the paint I just didn't want to gouge into the paint to avoid extensive paint rework...my intent is a quick, easy restore to turn it into a daily driver...I love thoose little trucks!

So I'm not really sure what and eraser wheel is but sounds like a heat lamp and bondo spreader might be the method I try. I was thinking about hitting it with a D/A but was worried about going through the paint and then having to do more work

here's the stripes I'm taking about

gordo1968charger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 20, 2008, 11:45:53 PM
If you dont have a heat gun & Hair dryer may help remove strips. LEON.
:iagree:
heat gun works everytime,not that expensive either
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

superbirdtom

Quote from: AKcharger on December 24, 2008, 01:11:24 AM
Well stripes are old/dead as well. Not worried about the paint I just didn't want to gouge into the paint to avoid extensive paint rework...my intent is a quick, easy restore to turn it into a daily driver...I love thoose little trucks!

So I'm not really sure what and eraser wheel is but sounds like a heat lamp and bondo spreader might be the method I try. I was thinking about hitting it with a D/A but was worried about going through the paint and then having to do more work

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Infrared heatlamp heats up large areas at a time and stripes will peel right off. use 3m adhesive remover and bondo spreader to clean up mess.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: superbirdtom on December 24, 2008, 12:30:46 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on December 24, 2008, 01:11:24 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Infrared heatlamp heats up large areas at a time and stripes will peel right off. use 3m adhesive remover and bondo spreader to clean up mess.

Just an FYI , Most people don't have infrared heat lights at their disposal.........therefor the heat gun is likely the best advice in this situation.

PS the Infrared lights do work well for that. Us actual Body shop guys are often spoiled by the tools and equipment me have.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

superbirdtom

theres stripe removers too, just spray on uhhhhhh I think i said that before. yeah ive used a hairdryer in a pinch.  good luck i know just what stripes those are  many jeeps here.