News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing my crankshaft, I want to do it right

Started by WH23G3G, November 25, 2008, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm going to pick up my crankshaft Monday. I have the blocked wrapped up, cam installed, and the whole thing cleaned inside and out. The machine shop installed the rear cam plug. But I have to install the oil gallery plugs because I didn't get them in time before he finished. In the book following it doesn't say what to if anything use on the threads of the oil gallery threads. There's two up front and two on the back of the motor. Do I use teflon or anything at all? Do I need to replace the fuel pump push rod? Next I would lay the main bearing inserts in the block, then the crank, then the plastigage, then the bearing inserts/caps. Do I put a piece of plastigage on each main bearing journal at one time and tighten all main bearing caps at once or am I suppose to do one piece of plastigage and one bearing cap at a time?

Runner

i dont put anything on the 2 plugs up front. if they were to leak it wouldnt matter since the oil would just fall to the pan.   the 2 rear plugs i put teflon tape on, but i start it back a couple threads.   i dont want any of that stuff in my oil.   as for the cam plug at the rear once its installed a put a bead of silicone around it for added protection.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

WH23G3G

This isn't the most important part of the engine but I want to be right. Do I need to paint the back and front of the engine? The machine shop put some cast primer on it to keep it from rusting up while sitting.